Organisers of Keswick's Mountain Festival are gearing up for their biggest festival yet. It's 4 days of adventurous speakers, camping, live music and sporting events.
This year there'll be a night swim and even more triathlon events than before. The sport is fast becoming one of the most popular in the Lake District.
FACTFILE ON TRIATHLON:
- Triathlon is one of the fastest growing sports in the UK
- 10 years ago there were 6400 registered members of Tri Clubs, now there's over 14,000
- One of the biggest rises is in women's races
The Coates family are training for this year's Keswick Mountain Festival. Sarah Bennett and both her children will compete in the Triathlon.
Sarah's Adult Triathlon is made up of:
- 750m swim on Derwent Water
- 35km bike ride over Honister Pass
- 10k run near Skiddaw
The children's triathlon is entered by most local schools.
Keswick Mountain Festival Schools Triathlon involves:
- 25m swim in Keswick Leisure centre
- 1km cycle
- 400m run in Fitz Park
There are running, cycling and swimming events and competitions as well as the triathlon.
Dad Ian Coates is cycling the Back 'O Skiddaw Sportive:
- 70km cycling
- 650m ascent
- 2.5 to 5 hours finish time
In the South Lakes, Kendal Tri Club has recently formed a Junior Section. Their first big race will be at the Keswick Mountain Festival.