North Cumbria University Hospitals NHS Trust is backing the nationwide Stay Well This Winter campaign which offers the public advice on how to prepare for the weather ahead.
People are urged to make the most of the services they have available to them. Over 65's are encouraged to have the free flu jab whilst those with old injuries and colds should visit their pharmacy or GP rather than the hospital.
Emergency consultant, Emma Farrow at Cumberland Infirmary shares her top five healthcare tips to stay well this winter.
- Make sure your medication is well stocked including paracetamol and ibuprofen to take if you feel unwell.
- Make sure you've thought about the correct place to visit a healthcare provider. Does you need to visit the hospital or will the GP or pharmacy be sufficient?
- It's essential to have the flu vaccine if you're eligible (over 65) to prevent illness.
- Wash your hands regularly to prevent the spread of infection.
- And finally, keep warm this winter and make sure all your friends and relatives do too.