Researchers in Selkirk have discovered what appears to be the remains of a medieval church where William Wallace was made Guardian of Scotland.
Ruins of the town's Auld Kirk date back to the 18th century, but it's thought to have replaced churches from the 16th and 12th centuries.
A geophysics study of the area was expected to reveal details of the 16th century church, but instead shed light on the medieval chapel, which could be Norman.
William Wallace was known for using guerilla tactics to fight the English from Ettrick Forest in the Borders, and Scottish nobles made him Guardian of Scotland in recognition of his military successes.
He is widely believed to have received the honour in Selkirk in 1297, and the study by Scottish Borders Council, Selkirk Conservation Area Regeneration Scheme, and Durham University could have pinpointed the exact location.
The council is hoping the findings could boost tourism in the area.