Police and local authorities in Cumbria are issuing road traffic and safety advice ahead of the Appleby Horse Fair, which begins next week.
A number of traffic restrictions will be in place
- During the Fair a one way traffic restriction will be applied to Garth Heads Road in Appleby town centre (travelling in a southerly direction) to minimise the load applied to a weak retaining wall. Permanent repairs will commence in the summer
- A road closure will be in place on the Sands Road in Appleby town centre from 9.30am-6pm on Friday 2, Saturday 3 and Sunday 5 June
- Flashing Lane, a part of Long Martin Road, is closed during the Fair (from 9.30am-6pm on Friday 3 June, Saturday 4 June and Sunday 5 June) to prevent the likelihood of conflict between horses and other traffic while the trotting (‘flashing’) of horses takes place. Anyone who enters the Flashing Lane does so at their own risk and are advised to take extra care for their own safety and that of others
- Warning signs have been placed on all major routes approaching Appleby. Highways England variable message signs will display Horse Fair related warning messages from 26 May 2016 to advise motorists to be aware of more horse drawn vehicles in the area.
- An advisory 40mph speed restriction will be implemented on the A685 prior to the Bank Holiday in order to address road safety concerns that arise from the encampment that takes place along this road between Brough and Kirkby Stephen
- The ongoing road marking maintenance works in the Appleby area will be completed before the Bank Holiday Weekend
Public transport to the Horse Fair is available
- During the Horse Fair Thursday 2 June to Monday 6 June 2016, passenger services will be available by rail between Settle and Langwathby
- For Northbound passengers travelling to Carlisle a bus service will be provided from Kirkby Stephen to Carlisle so those passengers wanting to get to Appleby will need to leave the train at Kirkby Stephen
- For Southbound passengers travelling from Carlisle the bus service will run between Carlisle and Langwathby and passengers wanting to get to Appleby will join the train at Langwathby
- No replacement buses will access Appleby town centre due to road closures and this is applicable for the Friday, Saturday and Sunday of the Horse Fair
- The 563 bus service from Kirkby Stephen to Penrith run by Grand Prix Coaches will be unable to service Appleby Town Centre on Thursday 2, Friday 3 and Saturday 4 June due to traffic congestion around the Fair. The service will run directly along the A66 stopping in both East and West bound Lay Bys only. The normal bus service will resume on Monday 6 June 2016