Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Dumfries & Galloway flooding schemes set for go-ahead

Flooding in Dumfries and Galloway. Credit: ITV Border

Schemes to improve flood defences across Dumfries and Galloway are set to get the go-ahead.

The council’s Economy, Environment and Infrastructure Committee will meet on 14 June to note the approval of a local Flood Risk Management Plan, which will then be published on 22 June.

The plan was produced by the council in partnership with the Scottish Environment Protection Agency, and authorities including Scottish Water and Forestry Commission Scotland.

Actions the council says it will take to improve flood defences include the progression of four flood protection schemes:

  • The delivery of the Whitesands flood protection scheme
  • The development and delivery of flood protection schemes at Langholm and Newton Stewart
  • Completion of flood protection works at Stranraer
  • Development work on the Carsphairn Flood Study – if a scheme is proven to be deliverable, to lobby the Scottish Government for grant funding to support the scheme.
  • A refresh of the Shoreline Management plan
  • The delivery of flood studies for Kirkconnel, Moffat, Creetown, Dalbeattie and Moniaive
  • Region wide actions to help with flood protection including resilience plans created for over 80 towns and villages across the region and awareness raising of protection available for households
  • The support of two flood action groups

The flood protection schemes will all be eligible for 80 percent funding from the Scottish Government, and the remaining 20 percent cost will be met by the council.

More on this story