Cumbria Police is urging residents in Carlisle to be extra vigilant and take precautions after a number of burglaries at insecure homes.
Officers say they can be avoided if homeowners take precautions like locking all doors, closing windows and keeping valuables out of sight.
Detective Inspector Dave Cooper, North Cumbria CID, said:
What can you do? Cumbria Police advice is:
- Lock doors and windows before you go out or go to bed
- Remove keys from locks and keep out of reach of windows and doors
- Ensure side gates and sheds are locked
- Keep gifts, cash and valuables safe and well hidden, so they can’t be seen or reached by thieves
- Consider fitting a burglar alarm
Anyone who witnesses any suspicious activity involving their home or a neighbour's should call Cumbria Police on 101.