Alternative parking options are being discussed in Kendal today, ahead of the closure of a popular piece of land used for free parking in the town.
Vehicles will soon be banned from parking on the New Road site on safety grounds, by South Lakeland District Council.
It has been used as an unofficial free car park for up to 180 vehicles.
Councillors are meeting today to discuss alternative parking offers it can put in place for drivers who would use the New Road site.
The proposals going forward are:
- Westmorland Shopping Centre to extend opening hours until 9pm.
- South Lakeland House car park to open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Sunday tariffs on all levels at South Lakeland House car park adjusted to 20p per hour, up to a maximum of £1 for over 4 hours.
- Charging hours on South Lakeland House car park to change from current 8am-6pm to 8.30am to 5.30pm.
- £1 a day parking on Blackhall Road surface car park if ticket purchased before 7am, seven days a week.
- Permit parking for market traders on Sandes Avenue only Wednesday and Saturday.
- Sandes Avenue car park to be made 20p per hour, up to a maximum of £1 for over 4 hours on non-market days.
- Visitor parking bays removed at South Lakeland House car park, to increase parking capacity.