1. ITV Report

Man who stabbed Maryport dad jailed for murder

William Richardson Photo: Cumbria Police

A man who stabbed a Maryport dad before fleeing the scene has today been convicted of murder and given a life sentence.

33-year-old Sean Morrin, of Nelson Street, Maryport, was found guilty of the murder of William Richardson at Carlisle Crown Court today.

He was sentenced to life and must serve a minimum of 25 years.

The court heard how on 8 August 2017, Morrin was waiting close to The Labour Club on Senhouse Street in Maryport, hiding behind parked vehicles, armed with a knife and waiting for Mr Richardson to walk past.

He then stepped out and stabbed Mr Richardson in the neck and face, knocking him to the ground.

William Richardson Credit: Cumbria Police

A witness described seeing Morrin, in the darkness, continuing to strike at Mr Richardson as he lay on the pavement.

Mr Richardson was found to have stab wounds to his neck, face, chest and numerous wounds to his back.

Morrin ran from the scene but was located soon afterwards by a police dog handler - hiding at the riverbank in Irish Street. He was found crawling on his hands and knees with blood on his hands and clothing.

Morrin was initially informed he was being arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm. He responded that he'd expected it to have been attempted murder.

The court heard Morrin carried out the attack after becoming embroiled in an argument with Mr Richardson and another man outside The Labour Club earlier in the evening.

The third man in this group told officers Morrin had offered to fight them and he and Mr Richardson chased him away.

Morrin then returned to the area a short time later armed with the knife.

Morrin refused to answer questions in his police interview. However, when informed of Mr Richardson’s death he replied: “Why did I have to go back?”

“Morrin carried out a brutal and premeditated attack, in the darkness, against a man who was not given any opportunity to defend himself.

“A short time before the attack, Morrin had argued with Mr Richardson and another male, the type of disagreement which happens outside pubs and clubs in every town and city in the country late in the evening. After being chased off and instead of letting things be, Morrin made the decision to return to the scene armed with a knife and, as is so often the case with knife assaults, the injuries he inflicted proved fatal.

“Our thoughts today are once more with the family and friends of Mr Richardson, not least his children who have been robbed of a father because of this senseless murder.

“Finally, I would like to thank the witnesses whose courage in coming forward helped secure this conviction and the officers involved in Morrin’s arrest and the subsequent investigation, which has led to him being held accountable today.”

– Detective Superintendent Vicki Ellis, Cumbria Police