Cumbria Police say they're investigating the sudden death of an 8-month-old girl from Carlisle.
Police were called to an address in the city by the ambulance service at around 7.45pm on Friday night (27th November).
The death is being treated as unexplained, and specially trained officers are supporting the family.
The daughter of a Cumbrian man who was infected with HIV after a botched NHS blood transfusion has slammed the Chancellor's Spending Review.
Families of victims, like Mike Dorricott, had been expecting compensation to be mentioned in George Osborne's statement:
The family of a Cumbrian who suffered a botched blood transfusion are furious there was no reference to compensation in the Spending Review.Read the full story ›
A man from Eastriggs near Annan has been shortlisted for a national award as the "Deafblind Person of the Year."Read the full story ›
The Chief Executive of the NHS in Dumfries and Galloway has apologised to families in Stranraer, after their loved ones were moved from the town's dementia facility.
Darataigh dementia unit was closed temporarily because repairs had to be carried out to the boiler.
However, families then said they had been informed that the closure was permanent, meaning they would have to make the 75-mile trip to Dumfries to visit their loved ones on a permanent basis.
NHS Dumfries and Galloway has since said it will re-open Darataigh for the duration of a six-month consultation into the site's future.
Chief Executive Jeff Ace has now apologised to the families over how they were treated:
I think I need to apologise, we didn't communicate effectively, either about what our current dementia model is, and how Darataigh is used, or how we want dementia services to be in the west of the region."
The 23-bed inpatient ward at Kelso Hospital remains closed to new admissions due as patients are confirmed as having norovirus.
The situation is being monitored and managed by NHS Borders Infection Prevention and Control Team.
Last week, Health Protection Scotland announced that there has been an increase in levels of norovirus (sometimes called the winter vomiting bug) across Scotland.
“Norovirus has been confirmed in Kelso Hospital and is circulating around the community. In order to safeguard vulnerable patients and support our efforts to limit the spread of this highly infectious virus, we continue to ask members of the public to carefully consider their visits to community hospitals and the Borders General Hospital. This advice is particularly relevant to anyone who has experienced diahorrea and vomiting symptoms in the past 48 hours.”
“Norovirus is one of the most common causes of diarrhoea and vomiting illness. It is very infectious and spreads quickly between people. This is why outbreaks happen in hospitals where a number of people are sharing facilities. However it doesn’t just occur in hospitals, and can start abruptly and spread quickly through communities. It is vital to protect yourselves and your loved ones from catching this unpleasant virus. Patients, visitors and staff can help minimise the spread by complying with instructions given by staff and paying attention to the signs at the entrances to the hospital and wards.”
A report has been issued following an unannounced inspection at the Borders General Hospital. It has passed all seven requirements.Read the full story ›
Cumbria's health bosses are issuing advice on how best to treat common winter illnesses.
In order to help Cumbrians to stay well this winter Cumbria Partnership have tried to explain how long many common winter illnesses take to get better.
Dr John Howarth, GP and deputy chief executive, explains:
For most winter illnesses your conditions will improve after two weeks and it is important to remember that over the counter medicines from your pharmacist are usually the most effective way to treat them.
Antibiotics do not help the most common conditions and can, in some cases, make symptoms worse.
The inpatient ward at Kelso Hospital has been closed to new admissions as a precautionary measure due to patients experiencing gastrointestinal symptoms, including diarrhoea and vomiting, thought to be caused by the Norovirus.
An outbreak of the Norovirus recently caused a ward at the Borders General Hospital to be closed.
Evelyn Rodger, Director of Nursing, Midwifery and Acute Services said:
In order to safeguard vulnerable patients and enable us to limit the spread of this highly infectious virus, we continue to ask members of the public to carefully consider their visits to community hospitals and the Borders General Hospital, and that anyone who has experienced diarrhoea and vomiting symptoms in the past 48 hours does not visit the hospital.
For further updates please visit www.nhsborders.scot.nhs.uk
Fraser Hatch is working with the charity Wellchild. Families are being asked to tell their own stories, using the hashtag #NOTANURSE_BUTRead the full story ›