A report was laid before parliament today that upheld two complaints against NHS Borders.
The complaints pertained to the care and treatment of patient in the Borders General Hospital on two occasions, between March and June 2014.
NHS have fully accepted the findings int he report, and have previously apologised.
An official investigation found that the patient received such poor care at the hospital near Melrose that he discharged himself and died at home three days later.
His partner, Mrs C, complained that while he was in the medical assessment unit his bedside oxygen equipment did not work.
She said he was not given adequate pain relief or his own medication and he was shown a lack of compassion by nursing staff.
The ombudsman upheld the complaint, adding that Mr A, who had lung cancer, was in pain "for considerable periods".
Responding to the publication of the SPSO report, Jane Davidson, Chief Executive said:
I would like to publicly apologise on behalf of NHS Borders to Mrs C and her family for what has happened and our failings in this case. I recognise that our standards of care to our patient and to the family fell short and accept the report from the Ombudsman; we are taking the recommendations very seriously.
As the notorious final Friday before Christmas approaches, the North West Ambulance service calls for changes after the scene in 2014Read the full story ›
Cumbria's community health service is asking people to be patient as nurses continue to navigate road and bridge closures across the county.
The team provides essential care for thousands of patients who struggle to leave their homes.
The nurses have managed to keep urgent appointments but there is a backlog after the floods:
We may have had to postpone visits, the non-vital visits, and we will get to people eventually but we've had to take long detours sometimes to get to the rural areas and obviously that means we can't get to as many people.
A ward at Dumfries and Galloway Royal Infirmary closed this afternoon due to a suspected outbreak of diarrhoea and vomiting.
Admissions, transfers and routine visiting to ward 16 were suspended as a precautionary measure.
6 patients have been affected with what medics have called symptoms clinically consistent with Norovirus. An outbreak control team will review the situation in the morning.
The NHS has issued a statement to say that some hospital appointments have been cancelled amid the 'major incident' of flooding.Read the full story ›
North Cumbria University Hospitals NHS Trust has declared an internal major incident.
The Cumberland Infirmary in Carlisle has been hit by power cuts following yesterday's flooding and is now being powered from back up generators.
Accident and Emergency departments across Cumbria are very busy and are urging members of the public to only call 999 in the event of serious illness.
The inpatient ward at Kelso Hospital has re-opened following recent cases of confirmed norovirus at the end of November.
The hospital is urging visitors to pay attention to prevention notices throughout the ward and to comply with medical staff.
Although the Borders General Hospital and our Community Hospitals currently have no ward closures this can change very quickly. In order to safeguard vulnerable patients and enable us to limit the spread of this highly infectious virus, we continue to ask members of the public to carefully consider their visits to the hospital, and that anyone who has experienced diarrhoea and vomiting symptoms in the past 48 hours does not visit the hospital."
The Care Quality Commission says Morecambe Bay Hospitals have made enough progress to come out of special measures.
The trust runs the Westmorland General in Kendal.
Morecambe Bay was placed in special measures in June 2014 because of concerns about patient safety.
Despite the improvement the the trust is still rated as "requires improvement."
More than 2,000 nurses working in Cumbria are taking part in free training sessions to improve their clinical skills.Read the full story ›
Cumbria Police say they are investigating the sudden death of an 8-month-old girl from Carlisle.
Police were called to an address in the city by the ambulance service at around 7.45pm on Friday night (27th November).
The death is being treated as unexplained, and specially trained officers are supporting the family.