Live updates

Banking scammers still calling Dumfries homes

Credit: PA

Police Scotland says several more people have been called in Dumfries and Galloway as part of a telephone banking scam.

Last week, three people were conned out of a total of more than £45,000.

Fraudsters pretending to be ringing from a bank told the householders that their savings were being hacked and needed to be transferred to another account.

The police say that despite the latest calls, no one else has lost any money.

Advertisement

Scammers are 'despicable'

Three people have fallen victim to the scam so far and police are urging the public to be careful Credit: ITV Border

Police have called those responsible for a telephone scam targeting people in Dumfries and Galloway "despicable".

So far, three victims have lost thousands of pounds in the scheme, after receiving a call from someone claiming to be from their bank.

The scammer then convinced the victims to transfer large sums of money from their account, by claiming its security was under threat.

The people who were involved in this type of behaviour are despicable.

To deliberately target vulnerable people and effectively wipe out their life savings in a few minutes is absolutely deplorable."

– Sergeant Steven Wilson, Dumfries and Galloway Police

Third victim loses thousands in banking scam

Credit: PA

A third victim has fallen prey to a banking scam currently targeting Dumfries and Galloway.

The 70-year-old woman, from Newton Stewart, lost £18,000 on Sunday, the highest sum of money stolen yet.

Once again, the caller convinced her to transfer her money into another account due to a supposed threat to her own account.

A number of other near misses have also been reported, where the scam has been identified before any money has been transferred.

Police Scotland ask that anyone who has been called, whether they identified the scam or are actually a victim having transferred funds, contact police immediately.

Advertisement

Second victim loses £15,000 in banking scam

Credit: PA

A second victim has lost £15,000 in a telephone banking scam in Dumfries and Galloway.

Similar to the woman from Newton Stewart who lost £12,000 at the weekend, the 78-year-old from Stranraer was persuaded that his accounts were under threat. The scammer, pretending to be from his bank, convinced him to transfer money to another account, which was in fact the account of the scammer.

Police Scotland want to hear from anyone who may have been contacted by such a caller, whether they actually became a victim or not. Police are also warning the public over the dangers of engaging with anyone who cold calls in this manner.

£100,000 grant to fund church roof repairs

St Cuthbert's Church, near Kendal, has won a grant that will fund roof repairs Credit: ITV Border

An historic church in the south lakes has received almost £100,000 towards the cost of roof repairs.

St Cuthbert's Church in Kentmere, near Kendal, was awarded the money from the Listed Places of Worship Roof Repair Fund.

The church was founded in the 1400s and has strong connections to St Cuthbert. It homes a yew tree that is said to be 1,000 years old.

The money covers approximately 80% of the funding required for repairs, leaving £20,000 still to raise.

Warning after woman loses £12,000 in banking scam

Credit: PA

Police Scotland is warning the public about a telephone banking scam that appears to be doing the rounds across Dumfries and Galloway.

The message comes after a woman in Newton Stewart lost over £12,000 on Saturday after transferring money into the account of a scammer claiming to be from her bank.

Police say there were other, similar attempts over the weekend and have warned anyone receiving such a call to completely ignore it and get in touch with them or their own bank to report the matter.

Personal and banking details should never be given out over the phone and banks and building societies never ask for this type of information.

Union says 123 probation jobs are at risk

Credit: ITV Border

Union officials claim 123 jobs are under threat at the probation service in Cumbria and Lancashire.

The union, NAPO, says it's been told that the cuts will be made over the next 12 months by the private company, Sodexo, which has taken over part of the service.

The company says it's in consultation with employees.

"We are in the process of sharing our future plans with employees...given that we are formally consulting on these plans it would be inappropriate to comment further."

– Spokesperson, Sodexo
Load more updates