Live updates

Jim Clark Rally - will it take place in 2015?

The promoters of the Jim Clark Rally say they will stage an event in May next year, despite being banned from using the usual public roads.

Last week, Scottish Borders Council said an investigation into the death of three people at this year's event wouldn't be finished in time for the rally to be held.

But thousands of people have signed up to a campaign calling for the rally to be reinstated and today the local MSP asked the Scottish government to step in. Kathryn Samson reports.

Mountain bike summit held in Borders

Champion cyclist Grant Ferguson is taking part in the first International Mountain Bike Conference in Peebles. Credit: ITV Border

Champion cyclist Grant Ferguson is taking part in the first International Mountain Bike Conference in Peebles.

Up for discussion will be the issues affecting mountain biking as its popularity continues to grow. Grant, from Peebles, will talk about his personal experiences of mountain biking in Scotland.

Advertisement

Jim Clark Rally - event promised

Promoters of the Jim Clark Rally - which was axed for 2015 - are promising there will be an event in May but no details have been released.

In a statement they said that 'there will be an event next year on the weekend of 30/31 May'. But they haven't clarified what it will be, saying only that the format has to be decided.

Scottish Borders Council last week said the rally couldn't go ahead as normal until police investigations into the deaths of three spectators have been completed. The council is the only body which can give the approval for public road closures which has been an essential part of the traditional rally.

"The promoters of the annual Jim Clark Rally have announced that there will be an event next year on the weekend of 30/31 May. As yet, the format of this 45th running of the rally has to be decided.

The organising team are working with MPs, MSPs and other relevant authorities to ensure that an event worthy of the name and reputation of twice F1 World Champion Jim Clark will be staged in his home county of Berwickshire.

The huge team of volunteers behind the organisation of this event have been greatly encouraged by the amount of public support, both locally and nationally, that they have received for the event to continue.

The promoters have also been greatly heartened by the support from both Mr John Lamont MSP (member for Ettrick, Roxburgh and Berwickshire) and Michael Moore MP (member for Berwickshire, Roxburgh and Selkirk)

This statement of intent has also been welcomed by two of Scotland’s top national motor sporting championships, the Scottish Rally Championship and the Scottish Tarmack Rally Championship.

Planning for the 2015 event is already underway, although the final format of the event has yet to be decided as the promoters are considering numerous options."

– Statement from the Promoters of the Jim Clark Rally

Berwick 1967 Cup hero dies

Sammy Reid died at his home in Wishaw, Lanarkshire, on Sunday 9th November. Credit: Berwick Rangers Football Club

The man who scored the most famous goal in the history of Berwick Rangers FC has passed away aged 75.

Sammy Reid caused a sensation by netting the only goal to knock Rangers out of the Scottish Cup 1-0 on January 28, 1967 at Shielfield Park.

The win is still regarded as one of British football's biggest upsets.

Reid had also played with Liverpool and Motherwell before moving to Berwick. He returned to Shielfield Park just last month when the club rolled out the red carpet to celebrate his 75th birthday.

He died at his home in Wishaw, Lanarkshire, on Sunday 9th November.

Advertisement

MP Michael Moore responds to rally cancellation

The MP, for Berwickshire, Roxburgh and Selkirk, says the decision has 'taken everyone by surprise'. Credit: PA

Liberal Democrat MP Michael Moore has responded to the Scottish Borders Council's decision not to allow next year's rally to go ahead.

Read: Jim Clark Rally cancelled

The MP for Berwickshire, Roxburgh and Selkirk says the decision has 'taken everyone by surprise'.

"This decision has taken everyone by surprise as the indications to date were that the rally would be allowed to proceed.

There are serious ongoing investigations which must be allowed to conclude, but it had been suggested that, as in other cases, that was not incompatible with proceeding with the event next year.

We need urgent clarification of the steps which will be necessary to allow this decision to be reversed and we need the full co-operation of all the authorities involved to speed decisions up.

This rally is a significant sporting and financial event for Berwickshire. We must be able to combine appropriately thorough investigation into last year's tragedy with proper planning for the year ahead."

– Michael Moore MP (Lib Dem)
Load more updates