Pirelli death: No longer suspicious

Cumbria police who are investigating the death of a man at Carlisle’s Pirelli factory say they are satisfied that no criminal acts have taken place in relation to the death.

Live updates

Pirelli worker death: Accident

George Falder's death is no longer being treated as suspicious Credit: Cumbria Police

Police investigating the death of a man at the Pirelli factory in Carlisle have now said that they think it was an accident. 48 year old George Falder was found in an industrial steam oven on Sunday evening (30th September).

Police had been treating his death as suspicious, but now say it could have been an accident.The circumstances surrounding the death remain unexplained and investigations will continue on behalf of the coroner.

Detective Chief Inspector Mike Forrester has been leading the dedicated team of detectives who have spoken to around 50 people as part of enquiries to date.

A post mortem examination found the father of two had not been assaulted before he died. The inquest has been adjourned until next April.

DCI Forrester said:

“We are into the fifth day of our investigation and so far, my team has spoken to around 50 people who have been able to help us with our enquiries. I would like to thank each and every person for coming forward to speak to us – they have been very helpful.

“I would also like to express sincere thanks to the management and staff at Pirellis for their help and cooperation throughout this very difficult week.

“As a result of a full and thorough investigation, we are at a stage where we are satisfied that no crime has taken place.

"Mr Falder’s tragic death has had a real impact on all his family, friends and colleagues. His family have been kept informed throughout our investigation and are being supported during this terrible time.

“Our investigation will now continue on behalf of the coroner and we will continue to assist the Health and Safety Executive as they continue their own enquiries.”

Back to top