- 8 updates
People living in nine homes evacuated when a mineshaft collapsed leaving a 25 metre hole have today been allowed home - for 30 minutes.
Scott Moffatt, his partner and their six month old son Max returned to pack up their belongings after being told they won't be able to go back home until after Christmas.
People living in nine homes evacuated last week following the collapse of a mineshaft in Egremont have been told they may not be back in their homes for Christmas.The residents have each been given 30 minutes this afternoon, November 21, to take valuables, documents, clothes and Christmas presents.
Last Wednesday a 25 metre hole opened up behind the properties on Howbank Road when contractors for Copeland Borough Council, who own the land, were attempting to pump concrete into the mineshaft in a bid to cap it. As the hole opened the drilling rig pouring in the concrete collapsed into it.
Subsidence had been reported to the council who had been monitoring the area for six months.The council are working with contractors to make the area safe and stabilise the properties, the work may not be completed before Christmas.
Residents living near a mineshaft that collapsed when a drilling rig fell in are still unable to return to their properties, as work starts to make it safe.
The site in Howbank Road, Egremont, has been fenced off and people are being advised to stay away from the area.
A 25 metre hole was created when the incident happened on Wednesday 14th November.
Nine homes had to be evacuated.
Copeland Borough Council say they expect work to start today to create a road at the back of the site to allow vehicles to start work to stabilise the hole.
Paul Walker, chief executive of Copeland Council said:
Six houses in Egremont had to be evacuated after an old mine shaft collapsed.
Samantha Parker reports:
Nine homes in West Cumbria have been evacuated after the partial collapse of a former mineshaft.
The emergency services are at the scene between Howbank Road and North Road in Egremont. The site was being monitored after reports of some land slippage over the past few months.
This afternoon a drilling rig, being used to cap the mine with concrete, fell into the shaft.
The collapse has left a gaping hole in the ground of around 25 metres. Kim Inglis sent us this update a short time ago.
Kim Inglis reports from the scene and speaks to one resident who witnessed the collapse.
If you have photos or video of this story, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Nine homes in West Cumbria have been evacuated after the collapse of an old mineshaft in Egremont.
A drilling rig being used to cap the mine with concrete, fell around 50 feet into the shaft this afternoon, November 14.
The collapse has caused a hole in the ground of around 75 feet across, close to a group of houses.
Latest ITV News reports
People evacuated last week after the collapse of a mineshaft in Egremont have been told they may not be back in their homes for Christmas.