Scotland's Transport Minister, Keith Brown, said that work on the road improvement projects should start in the spring and be completed by 2014.
Below is an outline of the proposed work:
A75 Dunragit Bypass
- The Dunragit Bypass will improve journey times, operational performance and level of service on the A75, which forms part of the Euro-route for between Europe, Scotland and UK via the ferry terminal Cairnryan.
- The safety needs of cyclist and pedestrians will be improved with a shared pedestrian/cycleway.
- HGV traffic will be removed from the village which has a 40mph speed limit.
- The A75 Hardgrove to Kinmount scheme will deliver a new 3.6km stretch providing overtaking facilities in both directions.
- Improving the performance and safety on the stretch of road, increase the number of overtaking opportunities and cater better for the needs of cyclists and pedestrians.