Polish murder case in Carlisle

Five people have been convicted over the murder of Polish man Piotr Kulinski, who was murdered in Carlisle.

Live updates

Three others sentenced in Carlisle murder case

Three more Polish men have been sent to prison for perverting the course of justice following the murder of a man in Carlisle.

Artur Woszczyna was described as being "devious and manipulative" by the judge at Carlisle Crown Court. He was jailed for 10 years.

He disposed of blood stained clothes after 32 year old Piotr Kulinski was stabbed seven times outside his home in Harraby on October 14th last year. Artur Skoczen was jailed for five years and Adam Karpuk, who was recruited to dispose of a getaway car, was jailed for three years, four months.

The judge recommended that they serve at least half of their sentences.

Earlier two other Polish men were jailed for life for the murder of Mr. Kuliniski. Piotr Zygner will serve a minimum of 28 years and Sylwester Kawalec at least 22 years.

Advertisement

Life sentences for Polish murderers

Two Polish men have been jailed for life for the murder of a fellow Pole in Carlisle. Piotr Zygner will serve a minimum of 28 years and Sylwester Kawalec at least 22 years.

32 year old Piotr Kulinski was stabbed seven times outside his home in Harraby on October 14th last year. Sentencing the men, Judge Paul Batty said this was a murderous attack on a defenceless man in full view of his partner.

He told Zygner: "Because of your arrogance, your attitude afterwards and your complete lack of remorse you will go to jail for a minimum of 28 years."

The girlfriend of Zygner, Paulina Mucha, has been jailed for seven years for manslaughter.

Three convicted over Polish murder

Below is the statement from the Crown Prosecution Service, commenting after the verdict was returned in the Carlisle murder case:

“Piotr Zygner and Sylwester Kawalec have today been convicted of murdering Mr Kulinski and Paulina Mucha has been convicted of his manslaughter.

"They targeted their victim outside his own home and subjected him to a violent and brutal attack - he was stabbed multiple times and received fatal injuries.

“Throughout the investigation and the trial, they have sought to cover up their truly dreadful crime.

"They even enlisted the help of other defendants to provide false alibis and conceal evidence relating to the murder.

“Nevertheless, the CPS has been determined to bring them to justice for their actions.

"As a result, Artur Woszczyna and Artur Skoczen have also been convicted of conspiring to pervert the course of justice, while Adam Karpuk and Paulina Mucha pleaded guilty to this charge at an earlier hearing.

“It is testament to the courage of the witnesses who came forward and gave evidence that we were able to build a strong case and secure these convictions.

“I would also like to offer my sympathies to the family and friends of Mr Kulinski and I hope that today’s verdict will go some way into helping them to come to terms with their loss.”

– Isla Chilton, Senior Crown Prosecutor, Crown Prosecution Service

Four guilty in Polish murder trial

Two people have been found guilty of the murder of a Polish man in a Carlisle street.

A further two have been found guilty of perverting the course of justice.

32-year-old Piotr Kulinksi was stabbed seven times outside his home in Harraby last October.

The jury at Carlisle Crown Court returned a unanimous verdict of guilty on 30-year-old Piotr Zygner and Sylwester Kawalec who is 23.

30-year-old Artur Skoczen and Artur Woszczyna, who is 44, were found guilty on a charge of perverting the course of justice.

A fifth defendant, 26-year-old Paulina Mucha is also charged with murder and the jury is considering its verdict.

Sentencing on the four is not expected until Friday at the earliest.

Advertisement

Full Report: Defence begins in Carlisle murder case

The defence has started in the trial of three people charged with murdering a 32-year-old man outside his house in Carlisle.

Piotr Kulinski was stabbed seven times as he got ready for work on the morning of the 14th October last year.

Today, the court heard how the victim allegedly threatened and demanded protection money from one of the people now accused of his murder.

John Bevir reports.

Defence heard in Carlisle murder trial

Police scene at Arnside road in Carlisle Credit: ITV News Border

A court has heard how a man stabbed to death outside his own home in Carlisle last October allegedly threatened and demanded protection money from one of the people now accused of his murder.

Piotr Kulinski was stabbed seven times as he got ready for work on the morning of the 14th October last year.

The jury at Carlisle Crown Court heard from 30-year-old Piotr Zygner, one of three people charged with murder.

Mr Zygner described how he first met the victim, Piotr Kulinski, claiming that he was selling drugs to a former girlfriend.

He also claimed that Mr Kulinski asked him to start selling drugs as well - but that he declined.

Trouble began to develop between the two men and there followed a series of altercations.

Mr Zygner was hospitalised after being attacked by a group of men outside his house, who hit him with hammers.

Mr Zygner said:

"They almost put me in a wheelchair, they broke my left hand and almost broke my backbone. I was beaten everywhere".

Mr Zygner went on to say that an arrangement was made so that he would pay Mr Kulinksi and his friends £200 a month in protection money.

There followed a series of threats by phone to Mr Zygner saying he would be shot in the knees and discussing Molotov cocktails.

At the start of the trial the prosecution outlined their allegation that Mr Zygner was one of the men responsible.

He denies murder, as do Paulina Mucha and Sylwester Kawalec.

Two other men, Artur Skoczen and Artur Woszczyna, deny perverting the course of justice.

The trial continues.

Defence begins in Carlisle murder trial

The defence has started in the trial of three people charged with murdering a 32-year-old man outside his house in Carlisle.

Piotr Kulinski was stabbed seven times as he got ready for work on the morning of the 14th October last year.

Today the court heard how the victim allegedly supplied drugs to the former girlfriend of one of the men now charged with his murder.

Piotr Zygner also claimed that Mr Kulinski tried to persuade him to sell drugs.

Mr Zygner, Sylwester Kawalec and Paulina Mucha all deny the charges.

Pathologist gives evidence in murder trial

A home office pathologist has told a jury of the horrific catalogue of injuries suffered by a man stabbed to death outside his own house.

Dr Alison Armour was giving evidence at the trial of two men and a woman charged with murdering 32-year-old Piotr Kulinski in Carlisle last October.

Dr Armour performed the post mortem on Mr Kulinski's body, and described the seven stab wounds he received, mostly to his back.

One wound to his back left shoulder was 16 centimetres deep, and punctured a lung before completely severing the aorta - the large artery that leaves the heart.

Another severed the bronchus, part of the airway that connects with the lung. Dr Armour said that either of those two wounds on there own 'were suffice to cause death'.

Load more updates Back to top