Earlier this year a mother and daughter died on a boat in the Lake District as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning.
It now seems that there has been several more cases of carbon monoxide poisonings since then.
Firefighters are so concerned that they are visiting homes in Cumbria advising them to get special detectors fitted to protect them, as Hannah McNulty reports:
Firefighters have been visiting homes in Carlisle to spread awareness of the dangers associated with carbon monoxide.
They say that although people are becoming more aware of the dangers, not everyone is buying the detectors.
Carbon monoxide detectors can be bought from most major supermarkets and online, and start from around £10.
Ian Cartwright is the Deputy Chief Fire Officer at Carlisle's West Station.
He is warning people that carbon monoxide can be as dangerous as fire:
Firecrews are reminding households in Cumbria that carbon monoxide detectors save lives after a potential tragedy was averted last month.
Firefighters attended a report of a carbon monoxide (CO) alarm sounding at a property in Marks Avenue, Carlisle on Friday August 23.
The boiler was found to be leaking, which without the alarm could have gone undetected.
– Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service's Deputy Chief Fire Officer Ian Cartwright
Carbon monoxide is a silent killer and without a detector it might not be discovered until it's too late.
This incident in Carlisle shows how important it is for households to take safety precautions and get a detector installed.
Carbon monoxide detectors are relatively cheap and available to buy at a range of shops or online.
It could be the most important purchase you ever make.