- 4 updates
The Assistant Chief Fire Officer for Cumbria, Adrian Buckle, has described a house fire in Carlisle - in which a man died - as a tragedy which shows the dangers of not having fire retardant furniture.
Firefighters are warning of the dangers of non-flame resistant furniture after a man was found dead following a house fire in the city.
Police and fire services were called to to the house on Newtown Close in the west of the city at around seven o clock last night.
A 68-year-old man was pronounced dead at the scene.
He is thought to have died after an old chair quickly became engulfed in flames and smoke after a discarded match set fire to a waste paper bin.
Police and fire services in Cumbria have launched an investigation after a man died following a house fire in Carlisle.
A man has died following a house fire in Carlisle.
Police and fire services were called to the house on Newtown Close at 7 pm last night, where they pronounced the man dead at the scene.
An investigation into the blaze has been launched and police are currently working to find out the cause of the fire.