Many people remember exactly where they were when they heard that a plane had crashed, just days before Christmas.
There are also those who actually witnessed the horror at Lockerbie first hand.
Some are only now, 25 years later, able to talk about their experiences.
The family of Abdelbaset al-Megrahi, the only person to be convicted of the Lockerbie bombing, say they plan to appeal against his conviction. Libyan Megrahi was convicted of the bombing of Pan Am flight 103 in which 270 people died 25 years ago.
Magrahi lodged a second appeal against his conviction from behind bars in Scotland where he was serving life for mass murder. However he dropped his case two days before he was released on compassionate grounds by the Scottish Government. He was suffering with prostate cancer.
Magrahi died last year protesting his innocence. Tonight, his brother said that his family plans to appeal the conviction. It comes as members of the UK Families Flight 103 group announced they are also considering their own appeal against Megrahi's conviction in a bid to reach the truth.
– Abdel-Hakim al-Megrahi, brother of Abdelbaset al-Megrahi
We want to appeal and we wish for the truth to be revealed and this is not just for our own benefit but also for the benefit of the families of the victims and for public opinion.
We need to know who committed this horrible crime. But, as you know, we as a family cannot afford to pay for the appeals process.
God-willing, the Libyan government will do this, but it has to be launched by the family first."
A special link has developed between Lockerbie Academy and Syracuse University in the United States, which lost 35 of its students in the Lockerbie bombing.
Matthew Taylor has been finding out more about that and other links between Lockerbie and America.
Watch his full report below.
Many of the families of the victims are meeting to mark the major anniversaries of the Lockerbie bombing, to remember their loved ones and perhaps gain some comfort in their shared loss.
It is remarkable to think it is now 25 years since that terrible night.
It happened as the passengers were on their way to America for Christmas and remains the worst terrorist atrocity in British history.
Tim Backshall has been speaking to one man who lost his daughter that night and who will be giving an address at Westminster Abbey tomorrow evening.
Policeman Colin Dorrance was driving to a Christmas party in Lockerbie when he saw a huge explosion in the town. Then, at 18, the youngest police officer in Scotland, he told ITV Border's Hannah McNulty his recollections of that night:
Callum Johnstone has been able to spending a year studying at Syracuse University thanks to this year's Lockerbie scholarship.
The school forged a special link with the university following the disaster, in which 35 of their students died.
Final preparations are taking place to mark the 25th anniversary of the Lockerbie disaster this weekend.
270 people died when a Pan Am flight 103 was blown up by a terrorist bomb in 1988.
Services will be held tomorrow in Lockerbie, London and Washington where Dumfriesshire MP David Mundell will represent the Prime Minister.
In the aftermath of the bombing of Pan Am flight 103, ordinary people in and around the scene played a big part in the recovery operation. Eric Milligan was a gardener working for Dumfries and Galloway Councillor.
As he drove a van, he was sent to Lockerbie to assist with collecting bodies. He's told his story for the first time to ITV Border Correspondent Hannah McNulty:
Scotland's first minister Alex Salmond has announced that the Scottish Government will give £60,000 to the Lockerbie Scholarship fund.
The fund pays for students from Lockerbie Academy to spend a year at Syracuse University in America.
The connection between the two institutions was forged less than two years after the Lockerbie bombing which happened 25-years-ago on Saturday.
35 students from Syracuse were killed on board flight Pan Am 103 when it was blown up in the skies above Lockerbie.
Matthew Taylor reports: