A dog has died from eating an electronic cigarette - thought to be the first case of its kind in Cumbria.
E-cigarettes contain nicotine which can be fatal to animals.
The dog died after it chewed on a refill cartridge for an e-cigarette in the Dalston area of Carlisle.
The vet who treated the animal is urging people to be more careful, and is calling for clearer warnings on packets.
Matthew Taylor reports:
Following the death of a dog in Cumbria after it consumed an electronic cigarette, the Electronic Cigarette Industry Trade Association told ITV Border:
"We were saddened to hear of the death of a dog after it apparently ate or chewed on an electronic cigarette. Nicotine is quite poisonous to dogs, with a potential fatal dose being as little as 9mg per kilogramme, so a small amount of the liquid can be dangerous to a small or medium-sized dog.
– Electronic Cigarette Industry Trade Association
For this reason it is very important that users keep e-cigs and the refills for them out of the reach of animals, and especially children. There is a legal requirement for labelling to warn users about the risks, and advise on the safe storage of these products.
We would echo the advice of the treating vet: users should “treat their e-cigarettes in the same way as they would medicines and keep them out of reach of dogs or anything else that might accidentally eat them”.
Laura McKirdy, a vet at Dalston-based Paragon Veterinary Group in Carlisle had to put down a dog which had chewed on its owner's cigarette device.
She said the dog she put down - which was a cross breed - showed signs of the effects of a nicotine overdose.
It had poor co-ordination and was sensitive to light, sound and touch.
She warned owners to treat their e-cigarettes in the same way as they would medicines and keep them out of reach of dogs or anything else that might accidentally eat them.
A vet in Cumbria is warning people to be careful with their electronic cigarettes after a dog died from eating one.
Laura McKirdy, who is a vet at Paragon Veterinary Group, at Dalston, near Carlisle, had to put a dog down after it had chewed on its owner's device.
So called e-cigs have got nicotine in them which can be fatal if certain doses are eaten.
She warned that dogs chewing on refills can cause an overdose of the drug, which can kill the animal.
Nicotine is quickly absorbed into the dog's system so its effects can be dramatic.
It will speed up the dog's heart rate and raise its blood pressure. The dog's nervous system can then be "overloaded", potentially causing death.