- 6 updates
A timely warning from Cumbria Fire Service about a silent killer. Since the recent sunny spell began, many have dusted off the camping gear and headed for the great outdoors.
But after a number of deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning in recent years, including one in the Lake District in 2012, the fire service say people should never take barbecues inside and should always use a carbon monoxide alarm. Tim Backshall reports:
Tim Backshall speaks to the Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service about how to reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning when campinh.
Carbon monoxide detectors are recommended by the Fire Service. Find out about them below:
Two campers admit that bringing a barbecue into a tent to warm up is a 'simple idea' and that they may not have considered the dangers.
However, due to posters around the campsite and a campaign by Cumbria Fire Service, the campers are now much more informed of the danger of carbon monoxide poisioning.
Rachel Fenwick and Louis Bradley from Blackburn
As the school summer holidays approach Cumbria Fire Service is warning campers, visiting the Lake District, to beware the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Barbecues and petrol or diesel generators can all give off the deadly gas. And people are being warned not to bring them into caravans or tents and to carry a portable detector.