Police warn of possible asbestos in Carlisle fire

Police have warned people near a "significant" fire at a waste management site in Carlisle to stay indoors and close their windows, because there may be asbestos in the smoke.

Crews were called to the site shortly before 4pm. No one was injured.

'Design of building' prevented spread of fire

Fire and police investigators are trying to determine the cause of a huge fire at a waste recycling site in Carlisle.

The blaze broke out at Cumbria Waste Management on Kingmoor Road yesterday afternoon. Thick plumes of black smoke were visible for miles around.

While the risk to health was low there is some fear the smoke may have contained asbestos. Kim Inglis reports

Fire crews expect to remain at Carlisle fire for hours

Cumbria firefighters expect to be at the scene of a large fire at a recycling plant in Carlisle for most of the evening, if not all night.

A spokesman said four crews remain at the Cumbria Waste Management fire dousing the flames, although the fire is now under control. He said investigations into how the fire started have not yet begun.

Police have warned people to stay indoors with the windows closed and not to touch debris from the fire because of possible asbestos.

Full story: Police warn of possible asbestos fire

Advertisement

Police extend fire asbestos warning to Houghton

Cumbria Police have extended their warning about possible asbestos from a fire at a recycling plant. They asked people in Houghton to stay indoors with the windows closed as well as people in Kingmoor Road, where the fire broke out. However, they say the risk remains "low".

They also warn people not to pick up debris, which has blown onto the road near the plant.

No one thought to be injured in fire

The Cumbria Waste Management Centre is still on fire Credit: ITV News Border

No one is thought to be injured at the fire at the Cumbria Waste Management Centre, Kingmoor Road, in Carlisle.

Emergency services are still dealing with the fire and the road has been closed from the bypass, down to the junction at Hartley Avenue.

At this time no one is believed to have been injured.

Emergency services are urging people in the area to stay indoors and close their windows and doors to protect themselves from the smoke.

Motorists are advised to avoid the area and seek alternative routes.

Advertisement

Smoke from fire could contain asbestos

Emergency services dealing with a fire in the Kingmoor Road area of Carlisle are urging residents to stay indoors and close their doors and windows.

Fire crews day there is a possibility that there may be asbestos in the smoke, and as a precaution people in the area are asked to remain indoors and ensure they have closed their doors and windows.