Archaeologists working on a Roman dig at Maryport say they are beginning to put together a complex story of one of the largest civilian settlements along the Hadrian's Wall frontier, between 100 and 300 AD.
"From our work so far it's possible there may be an earlier fort than the remains we can see in the next field, and possibly even a lost Roman harbour to the north of the present day harbour.
"We're concentrating on a building plot on the west side of the road. It's possible the road linked the fort with a Roman harbour. If this were the case, the road would have been a bustling thoroughfare along which most of the people and goods arriving at Maryport would have travelled."
Stones, cobbles and artefacts discovered by archaeologists near Selkirk are most likely to belong to a lost village dating from between the 14th and 16th centuries.
The discoveries were made during a Scottish Water project to lay a new water main at Philiphaugh. The location is also within the site of the 1645 Battle of Philiphaugh, though historical accounts of the battle make no mention of a village in the area.
The investigations by GUARD Archaeology Limited have uncovered the foundations of stone built structures, cobbled farmyards and the foundations of walls, buildings and hearths.