Live updates

Armed police patrol Cumbrian streets

Armed police in Carlisle city centre Credit: ITV Border

Armed police are patrolling the streets of Cumbria.

This morning two armed officers and a number of unarmed patrols were seen in Carlisle city centre.

The increased presence comes as the UK terror level remains at critical in the wake of Monday's Manchester terror attack.


Armed police called in knife incident

Armed police cordoned off a residential area after reports someone was being threatened by a man armed with a knife north of Dumfries. They were called to Stewart Place in Wanlockhead at 8.20pm last night (March 22nd).

The area surrounding the incident was cordoned off for around a hour. Armed officers traced the male a short time later who surrendered to police. A 17 year old man was detained by police and is being held in custody.

Guests warned not to leave hotel by armed police

Armed police told guests at a birthday party not to leave their hotel during an incident at a nearby house in Dumfries.

The 60 guests were at a function to celebrate a 50th birthday party at the Mabie House Hotel.

Police officers ordered them to stay in the building during the incident which lasted for an hour.

It happened at a house at Mabie, on the outskirts of the town at around 10:12pm on Saturday.

A 63-year-old was detained and enquiries are ongoing.

The party was being thrown for the 50th birthday of Lynne Longmore, from Lochmaben.

She said that some of her guests thought the armed officers were in fancy dress as part of the celebrations.

But once the seriousness of the situation was known, everyone stayed calm till the incident was over.

We had just had the fireworks. Everybody was just coming in for birthday cake when the police arrived in a van and all we could make out was that they were armed. I initially thought someone had complained about the fireworks.

– Lynne Longmore

Then quite quickly 3 more police vans arrived. We were told to stay inside and mustn't leave the hotel until it was clear.

It was quite a serious incident but everybody stayed calm and were philosophical about it all.

It's a birthday I'll always remember that's for sure.

– Lynne Longmore

Man released without charge following Morton incident

A 29-year-old man has been released without charge following an incident in the south Morton area of Carlisle.

Armed police were called to Ashness Drive at 2.20pm yesterday (10th July), where a man was believed to have threatened someone known to him with a weapon.

The man, who was arrested on suspicion of assault, was questioned by police but released without charge.

Enquiries into alleged firearms offences are also being investigated but no firearm has been recovered.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Cumbria Police on 101 and ask to speak to Carlisle Police Station.


Reports of possible stabbing in Carlisle

Our reporter Hannah McNulty has been tweeting from the scene in Carlisle.

Armed police at cordoned off scene in Carlisle

Police are currently dealing with an incident at Etterby Lea Road, Carlisle, and are asking people to avoid the area.

It is not believed that this is linked with the earlier incident in the day.

Armed officers have been deployed at the scene as a precaution, and the scene has been cordoned off.

Police are conducting enquires and do not believe there is any danger to members of the public.

Update: Man detained as investigations continue

Police have detained a 29-year-old man from Carlisle following a report earlier today of a man threatening someone he knows with a gun.

He was detained by officers near Ashness Drive.

Enquiries are ongoing to find out exactly what has happened.

Police are thanking the public for their patience while they continue to deal with the incident.

Load more updates