Live updates

21-year-old charged in connection with Carlisle house fire

The fire was at a property on Thomas Street in Carlisle Credit: ITV Border

A 21-year-old man from Carlisle has been charged in connection with a fire on Thomas Street on Friday April 17.

Thomas Galloway, of Thomas Street, has been charged with arson with intent to endanger life.

He has been remanded in custody and will appear at Carlisle Crown Court on May 5 2015.

It was previously reported that one of the occupants at the address had suffered minor injuries as a result of the fire.

However police now say that no one was injured in the fire.

21-year-old arrested following house fire in Carlisle

Credit: ITV Border

Police have arrested a man in connection with a house fire in Carlisle.

Fire and Rescue Services were called to a property on Thomas Street at around 5am this morning.

One of the occupants at the address suffered minor injuries.

Following a joint investigation with the fire service, a 21-year-old man from Carlisle has been arrested on suspicion of arson with intent to endanger life.

He is currently helping police with their enquiries.

Advertisement

Full report: Police hunt for arsonist

Homes had to be evacuated and three teams of firefighters were callled to battle a blaze that appears to be the latest in a series of grass fires deliberately set alight in Dumfries and Galloway.

Some of the residents who were led from their homes were in their seventies, as large flames came within just a few feet of properties.

Police say the fire near Sanquhar is one of eight suspicious grass fires in the past six days.

Matthew Taylor has this report:

'Fire came within feet of garden' says Kelloholm resident

The fire came within feet of the garden Credit: Meg Alison

Ten homes had to be evacuated in Kelloholm, in Dumfries and Galloway, after a grass fire came within a few feet of residents' gardens.

Many of those evacuated were people over the age of 70.

One resident described it as "an inferno" and said "it was a very frightening experience".

The burnt out grass near Kelloholm Credit: ITV News Border

New fire, hunt continues

Police in the Sanquhar area are stepping up their hunt for a suspected arsonist after a sixth grass fire in the space of four days.

The latest was in Queen's Road, Sanquhar on Saturday 30th March. None have yet caused serious damage but officers still suspect that it is the same person setting them.

A Dumfries and Galloway Fire and Rescue spokesman said:

“The fires were all put out by the firefighters using beaters and hoses. The causes of the fires have been put down as suspected to be deliberate by an unknown person or persons.”

– Dumfries and Galloway Fire and Rescue spokesman

Advertisement

Sanquhar fires were deliberately set

Firefighters from Sanquhar in Upper Nithsdale have been called out to the fires around the town.

They have managed to put them all out without serious damage but suspect it is the same person starting all of them.

Three fires were set off in and around Sanquhar within the space of four hours on Wednesday and then a fourth was discovered alongside the A76 Dumfries - Kilmarnock Road at Guildhall Bridge, Kirkconnel.

The latest was on Friday night at Mary’s Street at Sanquhar where firefighters managed to put out the flames using beaters.A Dumfries and Galloway Fire and Rescue spokesman said:

“The fires were all put out by the firefighters using beaters and hoses.“The causes of the fires have been put down as suspected to be deliberate by an unknown person or persons.”

– Dumfries and Galloway Fire and Rescue spokesman

Arson mum jailed: Full report

A woman has been jailed for six years at Carlisle Crown Court after admitting setting fire to her house - while her two year old daughter was asleep inside.

Thirty five year old Deborah Ann Donald was also charged with perverting the course of justice after she blamed the arson - at her home in Wastwater Avenue in Workington - on two other women. Andy Burn reports.

Load more updates