A 19-year-old man from Whitehaven has been sentenced today at Carlisle Crown Court to:
- Two year supervision requirement
- Curfew for three months
- Sex offenders register for five years
- Sexual Harm Prevention Order for five years
- Court costs of £60
Callum Seth, of Parton, Whitehaven, pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing to three counts of inciting a boy under 13 to engage in sexual activity.
On the evening of Thursday 14 August 2014 Seth was playing football with three boys aged under 10 years old when he made each of the boys expose themselves and perform a sexual act in front of him.
PC Annabel Scott said:
Seth’s behaviour was completely inexcusable, and I am pleased he has been brought before the courts to answer for his crime.
Protecting children in Cumbria is of the utmost importance to the Constabulary, and we work hard to bring those found to be abusing children to justice.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank the victims and their parents for the bravery in reporting Seth’s actions to the police so that we could investigate.
I would urge anyone who has any concerns regarding inappropriate or abusive activity to get in touch – all reports will be dealt with sensitively and professionally.”
Anyone with concerns should call Cumbria Police on 101.
A woman's been in court in Carlisle accused of defrauding a charity set up by a teenager with cancer.
Thirty-two-year-old Hayley McTaggart faced five fraud charges and three counts of theft at the city's crown court.
Amongst the accusations is that she set up a bogus raffle for Alice's Escapes - a charity founded by Cumbrian teenager Alice Pyne, who died following a five-year battle with cancer.
The defendant, from Whitehven, is also accused of taking a cheque for £2,000 from the charity to pay for a sponsored walk up Kilimanjaro.
She denies all the charges and will next be at court in June.
A man sent his former girlfriend scores of unwanted messages and racked up a bill of £4,000 on an Amazon account owned by her family after she ended their relationship a court heard.
As he struggled to accept his split from Sophie Jackson, Grant Carruthers bombarded her with phone calls and texts.
The 20-year-old, from Silloth, also targeted her parents, smashing a window at their home and running up a £4,000 bill on an account owned by Mr. Jackson.
Carruthers pleaded guilty to harassing Miss Jackson, threatening to harm her pet dog, damaging property and fraud.
At Carlisle Crown Court on Monday, Carruthers was ordered to carry out 200 hours of unpaid work.
This forms part of a 12-month community order through which he must also attend alcohol awareness sessions.
A restraining order was imposed which prevents Carruthers, of Esk Street, from contacting Miss Jackson and her parents in any way for three years.
Kim Whittlestone, prosecuting, said Miss Jackson ended the relationship with Carruthers in January.
But he did not appear to accept the break-up, and showed his frustration with repeated texts and phone calls.
"On one particular day there were 76 unwanted contacts by him to Sophie Jackson via her mobile phone," said Miss Whittlestone.
Text messages became more irate, and included a threat to publicly embarrass her.
He used a brick to smash a window at her parents' home, admitting to Miss Jackson that he was responsible.
Carruthers claimed to have used an Amazon Prime internet account belonging to her father, who discovered a £4,000 bill had been run up through the purchase of films and box sets.
"On Facebook he was threatening to harm Sophie Jackson's dog. She was fearful that threat would be carried out," said Miss Whittlestone.
Following his arrest, Carruthers said he had been under the influence of alcohol while much of this conduct took place, but expressed regret for what he had done.
Brendan Burke, defending, admitted Carruthers had been guilty of a "nasty passage of behaviour".
"He is thoroughly ashamed of himself.
He couldn't cope at that point of his life with the emotional impact of the end of the relationship," said Mr. Burke.
A number of positive references were submitted on behalf of Carruthers that spoke of the work he had done for voluntary organisations and charities.
He had not attempted to make further contact with the Jackson family, who had since moved abroad.
Judge Paul Batty QC told Carruthers his conduct had been "deeply distressing" for Miss Jackson, and called the Amazon Prime fraud "mean and sneaky".
But the judge said:"I am not going to deprive you of your liberty. It seems that this was a singular episode in your life when, as animmature young man, you couldn't come to terms with a relationshipthat had ended."
A Cumbrian firm has admitted breaches of health and safety at Carlisle Crown Court after a worker died in a hot oven over two years ago.
Forty-eight-year-old George Falder was killed at the Pirelli tyre factory in Carlisle in September 2012.
The judge is due to pass sentence on the company shortly.
A man who punched a boy to the ground and then stamped on his face twice while he lay unconscious has been jailed for two years and eight months.
Robert Robinson launched the unprovoked attack upon his teenaged victim in Whitehaven during the town's maritime festival on June 21 2013.
The 23-year-old, of Castlerigg Close, Whitehaven, was seen by a witness to punch the boy with both fists seven or eight times, before standing on his face.
He pleaded guilty to assaulting the teenager, causing him actual bodily harm, when he appeared at Carlisle Crown Court today, Wednesday 15 April.
"You might have been facing a murder charge," Judge Paul Batty QC told Robinson as he sent him to prison. "It is simply a happy chance and your good fortune that you didn't kill him.
A man who sexually assaulted a teenager during a train journey in the Lake District has been jailed.
Linley Hassan, 26, who is deaf and unable to speak, sat beside the girl in an otherwise empty carriage and wrote her unwanted notes before the late night attack on January 7.
A drunken Hassan then tried to cuddle the 16-year-old, but when she turned away, he placed his hand on the inside of her thigh.
At Carlisle Crown Court yesterday, Hassan pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting the teenager.
He was sent to prison for six months by Judge Paul Batty QC, who had heard how the victim "froze" as she was attacked.
"This was a terrifying incident for a young girl on a train," the judge told him.
Hassan, latterly of Castle Street, Kendal, must comply with sex offender notification requirements for the next 10 years.
Jamie Armstrong, found guilty of the Murder of Luke Hollingsworth, has been sentenced to life imprisonment and to serve a minimum of twenty five years.
Jamie Lee Armstrong has been found guilty of the murder of 23-year-old Luke Hollingswortth.
A court head today, Thursday 19 June, how Armstrong, 21, had stabbed Mr Hollingsworth to death at a house in the Stanwix area of Carlisle in July 2013.
He will appear before Carlisle Crown Court tomorrow, Friday 20 June, for sentencing.
“Luke Hollingsworth was killed in a sustained and brutal assault by Jamie Lee Armstrong over an argument about an unpaid drug debt, we believe. It was a vicious attack, with Armstrong chasing Luke Hollingsworth through the house when he tried to escape from him and stabbing him many times. He then tried to make it look like two unknown assailants had broken in and attacked both him and Luke. Throughout the investigation and the prosecution he maintained this fictitious version of events and has refused to accept responsibility for Luke’s death.
”The jury have today seen through the elaborate, but ultimately implausible, series of lies that he concocted to try to cover up his guilt and they have found him guilty of murder. Police investigators and I worked closely to piece together the many strands of evidence and to build the prosecution case that proved the only person who attacked and killed Luke Hollingsworth was Jamie Lee Armstrong."
A man from Whitehaven has been jailed for 12 years, for sexually abusing a child and possessing 6,500 indecent images of children, including extreme pornography.
58-year-old Joseph Moody was found guilty after a trial at Carlisle Crown Court.
He'll be placed on the sex offenders register for life.
The police say he used his position of trust to abuse his victim, who was aged between seven and 10 when the abuse took place.
They and the Crown Prosecution Service have praised the victim's courage in coming forward.
Three McDonald's workers who stepped in when a group of students were subjected to a brutal racist attack have had their bravery and quick thinking recognised.
The restaurant workers intervened when the early morning violence unfolded in Carlisle last July.
They and another good samaritan from Cumbria were given awards at Carlisle Crown Court on Thursday. Hannah McNulty reports.