A 49 year old man has appeared at Carlisle Crown Court accused of causing the death of his partner by careless driving. John Trevor Dent denied causing the death of Rose-Marie Valente, 49, in February last year by driving without due care and attention and exceeding the legal alcohol limit.
Dent spoke only to confirm his name and enter a plea. Valente, a mother-of-five from Woodside Crescent in Bingley, West Yorkshire, was found dead on a road near to Dent's home at Swindale Grange in Brough on the morning of February 27th.
Dent was bailed on condition he stays at his home address. He will appear at court again on March 4th when a trial date will be set.
Two men have appearedin court at Dumfries on charges of attempted murder and robbery following anincident in which a man was assaulted in his own home in the town.
25-year-old George Collins and Stuart McNeillie, 30, both from Dumfries, appeared separately in private before Sheriff Alison Stirling.They were on a petition containing the charges and no plea or declaration was made.
Both were remanded in custody for further examination.
Their appearance comes four days after a man was assaulted in a house in Dalswinton Avenue in the Lochside housing estate.
A former restaurant owner has been fined after pleading guilty to three counts of failing ot keep her kitchen clean.
Lucy Nicholson, 55, former owner of Lucy’s on a Plate, Church Street, Ambleside, was fined £5,000 and ordered to pay costs of £1,200, after she pleaded guilty at Carlise Crown Court.
She was prosecuted after inspectors visited the premises and found the kitchen to be in violation of numerous breaches of the Food Hygiene (England) Regulations 2006.The offences were committed between 15 July 2010 and 7 September 2010.
The offences were failure to keep food premises clean and in good repair, failure to ensure food was protected and fit for human consumption and failure to keep records on how food is stored.
In summing up, Recorder Medland QC, said the kitchen was in a:
“dirty, dilapidated and uncared for state”, adding: “Over a number of years you built up a good reputation but the business had gone badly wrong. By summer 2010 the oversight you brought was gone and the result was plain to see, the state of the kitchen was very poor.”
South Lakeland District Council's Environmental Health Officers investigated the restaurant following two complaints from contract chefs working at the restaurant. They found dirty kitchens and a build up of grease on surfaces, food kept at the wrong temperatures with a lack of management control.
SLDC Cllr Claire Feeney-Johnson, portfolio holder for Environment, said:
*"SLDC does not like to bring prosecutions unless it has to but in this case we had a duty to protect people visiting this restaurant. *
“Residents and visitors to the area have a right to be safe when they visit any of the wonderful restaurants and cafes we have in the area and Lucy’s on a Plate fell very short of providing a safe environment to eat.
“We would urge eating establishments to display their certificate from the National Food Hygiene Rating Scheme, which our Environmental Health Officers provide. This will let people know the establishment has been rated and passed inspection.”
Lucy’s on a Plate is now under new management and was recently awarded the highest food hygiene rating of five stars.
A man from Shap is due to appear in court this morning after being charged with attempted murder.
John Lowis, 44, from Shap in Cumbria was charged with attempt murder on Monday 13th August.
He'll appear before magistrates in Carlisle on Tuesday 14th August.
The charge follows an incident that was reported to police just before midnight on Sunday 12 August that occurred on Jackson Lane, Shap where a 52 year old man from Shap suffered head and facial injuries.
The victim remains in Cumberland Infirmary Carlisle where he is receiving treatment.
The father of Shafilea Ahmed broke down in court today - facing fresh allegations in his trial, accused of murdering his daughter.
Shafilea's body was discovered close to a river in Cumbria. Throughout the eight week trial so far Iftikhar Ahmed has denied murder, along with his wife Farzana Ahmed.
Yesterday though Mrs Ahmed changed her defence - she now claims that she saw her husband beat Shafilea on the night of the alleged murder.
Anne O'Connor is at the trial at Chester Crown Court.
A former Carlisle takeaway owner is due to be sentenced today for sex offences against children.
Azad Miah was found guilty of attempting to recruit children as young as 12 to work as prostitutes.
Azad Miah was found guilty of nine charges of having sex with underage girls and inciting child prostitution on Monday.
It is thought police will respond after tomorrow's sentencing to the question of why Miah was not investigated earlier. Barnardo's chief executive Anne Marie Carrie said:
"We believe thousands of hidden victims of child sexual exploitation are still being let down by the system.
Cases are dropped because of insufficient evidence or an over reliance of victims to act as witnesses
We need to see drastic changes to make sure the abusers who control such vulnerable children for sex and personal gain do not get away with it."
Out of the 137 police investigations the children's charity knew about involving their "service users", only 24 resulted in convictions.
District crown prosecutor for the North West, Linda Vance, said:
"I would urge anyone who has been a victim of any sexual offence not to suffer in silence but to speak to police so they can investigate.
At the CPS we have specialist rape prosecutors who have expertise in dealing with sexual offences cases and we will work with the police and the courts to ensure that victims are given the best possible support throughout the progress of the case."