The father of Shafilea Ahmed broke down in court today - facing fresh allegations in his trial, accused of murdering his daughter.
Shafilea's body was discovered close to a river in Cumbria. Throughout the eight week trial so far Iftikhar Ahmed has denied murder, along with his wife Farzana Ahmed.
Yesterday though Mrs Ahmed changed her defence - she now claims that she saw her husband beat Shafilea on the night of the alleged murder.
Anne O'Connor is at the trial at Chester Crown Court.
A former Carlisle takeaway owner is due to be sentenced today for sex offences against children.
Azad Miah was found guilty of attempting to recruit children as young as 12 to work as prostitutes.
Azad Miah was found guilty of nine charges of having sex with underage girls and inciting child prostitution on Monday.
It is thought police will respond after tomorrow's sentencing to the question of why Miah was not investigated earlier. Barnardo's chief executive Anne Marie Carrie said:
Out of the 137 police investigations the children's charity knew about involving their "service users", only 24 resulted in convictions.
District crown prosecutor for the North West, Linda Vance, said:
One of Azad Miah's under-age victims complained to the police about him three years before his eventual arrest, his trial heard.
His youngest victim, aged 12, said she gave up talking to the police about the takeaway owner pestering her for sex in exchange for cash because nothing was being done.
In the wake of Miah's arrest in 2011 she was asked at the start of her police interview if she knew why she was being questioned. Tellingly, she replied:
Under cross-examination at Carlisle Crown Court, she was told there was no record of any of her supposed complaints. Barrister Stephan Meadowcroft QC said "The police keep careful records."
Behind a screen in court, she replied: "So they should but they didn't."
Azad Miah treated his arrest as "a joke" and showed contempt for the girls who accused him, police said.
Investigating officer Detective Constable Christy Robertson recalled his "arrogant" and "disrespectful" demeanour when she interviewed him.
The 44-year-old takeaway boss was arrested at Coral bookmakers, just yards away from his former Spice of India restaurant in Botchergate, Carlisle. DC Robertson said:
She said he displayed the same lack of compassion to his victims in the lengthy police interviews as when he entered the witness box in his trial at Carlisle Crown Court.
A takeaway boss has been convicted of attempting to recruit four girls aged 12 to 16 into prostitution.
Azad Miah, 44, hounded and stalked the girls to have sex for money while at the same time running a brothel from his city centre premises in Carlisle.
The married father-of-four was also found guilty of paying for the sexual services of two teenage girls.
His trial at Carlisle Crown Court heard that one of his victims complained to police about him persistently harassing her in 2008, three years before his arrest.
During that time he continued his pattern of behaviour in what the prosecution described as a "cold, clinical exploitation of the desperate and vulnerable".
His mode of operation was to target girls and women who he thought would rather have sex for money than risk jail by stealing to feed addictions to drugs or drink.
The Bangladeshi former owner of the Spice of India restaurant was found guilty of inciting four girls into child prostitution between 2007 and 2011. He was cleared of the same allegation against two other girls.
Miah was also convicted by the jury of paying for the sexual services of two girls between 2006 and 2009, and one count of keeping a brothel between 2005 and 2011
Azad Miah found guilty of nine charges relating to child sex offences and one of running a brothel.
More to follow...
A woman has gone on trial accused of stabbing a man to death on a farm in the Borders. 23 year old Eliska Novotna from the Czech Republic denies murdering 39 year old Arunas Ramounaskas at Easter Happrew farm near Peebles in october last year.
She's claiming self defence. Kathryn Samson sent this report from the High Court in Dundee.
The jury in the trial of the man who denies running a brothel from his Carlisle takeaway has been sent home for the weekend.
They'll return on Monday to consider their verdicts on 18 charges against Azad Miah, some of the charges relate to girls as young as 12.
Miah denies all charges.