Cricketer Ben Stokes is now the highest overseas earner in the Indian Premier League.
In 2005, when he was living in Cockermouth, Border TV spoke to him at the local cricket club.
Ben Stokes became England's most expensive player ever at the Indian Premier League at Monday's auction.
Exactly a week after discovering he will be England's new Test vice-captain, the Cumbrian all-rounder learned he will be earning more than £1.7m with Rising Pune Supergiants.
Here is a list of the most expensive England players in the competition's history.
- 1 - Ben Stokes, Rising Pune Supergiants, £1.74m (2017)
- 2 - Tymal Mills, Royal Challengers Bangalore, £1.44m (2017)
- 3 - Kevin Pietersen, Royal Challengers Bangalore, £1.24m (2009)
- 3 - Andrew Flintoff, Chennai Super Kings, £1.24m (2009)
- 5 - Chris Woakes, Kolkata Knight Riders, £500,000 (2017)
- 6 - Jos Buttler, Mumbai Indians, £455,000 (2016)
- 7 - Ravi Bopara, Kings XI Punjab, £360,000 (2009)
- 8 - Stuart Broad, Kings XI Punjab, £320,000 (2011)
- 9 - Eoin Morgan, Kolkata Knight Riders, £280,000 (2011)
- 10 - Paul Collingwood, Delhi Daredevils, £220,000 (2009)
- 10 - Owais Shah, Delhi Daredevils, £220,000 (2009)
The Cockermouth all-rounder will earn £1.7m playing in the Indian Premier League.Read the full story ›
Cumbrian all-rounder Ben Stokes has been named the new vice-captain of England's test cricket team.Read the full story ›
Ben Stokes has been interview for the England Test captaincy position.
England's highest Test run scorer, Alastair Cook, stepped down on Monday.
Cockermouth's Stokes met director of cricket, Andrew Strauss, and his team yesterday, alongside other candidates Joe Root and Stuart Broad.
Root has been described as the 'obvious candidate' for the captaincy and has been vice-captain to cook from May 2015.
Stokes was vice-captain on the recent limited-overs tour of Bangladesh.
A new captain will be appointed before England's limited-overs tour of the Caribbean in March.
Cockermouth cricketer Ben Stokes has been chosen in the ICC Test Team of the Year.
Former Test stalwarts Rahul Dravid, Gary Kirsten and Kumar Sangakkara selected the sides based on players’ performances in the period from 14 September 2015 to 20 September 2016.
England’s Alastair Cook has been named as captain of the ICC Test Team of the Year.
ICC Test Team of the Year 2016 (in batting order) is:
- 1. David Warner (Australia)
- 2. Alastair Cook (England) (captain)
- 3. Kane Williamson (New Zealand)
- 4. Joe Root (England)
- 5. Adam Voges (Australia)
- 6. Jonny Bairstow (England) (wicketkeeper)
- 7. Ben Stokes (England)
- 8. R. Ashwin (India)
- 9. Rangana Herath (Sri Lanka)
- 10. Mitchell Starc (Australia)
- 11. Dale Steyn (South Africa)
- 12. Steve Smith (Australia)
England coach Trevor Bayliss says Ben Stokes is capable of becoming one of the best ever... and he's worried about dropping him.Read the full story ›
Durham County cricket club have been relegated from Division One in the County Championship over financial issues.
The club has accepted a £3.8m financial aid package.
The team, who have Cockermouth's England all-rounder Ben Stokes in their ranks, have also lost the right to stage Test cricket at their Riverside ground.
They will start next season in Division Two with a 48-point deduction.
Cumbrian cricketer Ben Stokes says he is "devastated" about an injury that has ruled him out of England's third Investec Test against Pakistan.
Devastated about the injury especially with all the hard work put in by myself and others to get me back to FULL fitness
England's Ben Stokes will miss next week's third Investec Test against Pakistan because of a torn right calf, the England and Wales Cricket Board has announced.
The all-rounder, who was raised in Cockermouth, will be a big loss for the national team.