Flood water that surrounded shops and cut off access to a business park has been cleared by firefighters and highways workers.
Heavy overnight rain and a blocked culvert under the road caused flooding just off the A69 in Warwick Bridge this morning that put nearby shops at risk of flood damage and prevented vehicles getting to and from Warwick Mill Business Park.
Firefighters pumped water and worked with Cumbria County Council's highways team to remove vegetation blocking the culvert.
Once the blockage was removed water levels began to subside.
More than 120 firefighters in Cumbria took part in a 24-hour strike from 7am yesterday.
Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service (CFRS) said 45 full-time and around 80 on-call firefighters walked out in the latest round of industrial action over a long-running pensions dispute between the Fire Brigades Union (FBU) and Government.
During the strike CFRS responded to eight incidents including a car fire in Egremont and a chimney blaze in Ulverston.
Fire and rescue capability was provided by non-striking firefighters during the walkout.
Heavy overnight rain has led to a beck bursting its banks and put nearby shops and businesses at risk of flood damage.
Firefighters are currently on the scene pumping out water just off the A69 at Warwick Bridge near Carlisle.
The businesses, including a cafe, are closed as they've been cut off and surrounded by the flood.
Members of the Fire Brigades Union in Cumbria are returning to work this morning after a 24 hour strike.
They walked out at 7am yesterday morning as part of a long-running national dispute over pensions.
The Government says firefighters have "one of the best pensions in the public sector" but the striking workers say their conditions are being downgraded.
Firefighters in Cumbria are on strike again today as part of a long-running national dispute over pensions.
Members of the Fire Brigades Union will walk out for 24 hours at 7am this morning.
Firefighters in Scotland will work as normal after reaching an agreement with the Scottish Government.
A new tool that allows firefighters to put out flames without entering the building on fire is on trial in Cumbria.
Watch Ryan Dollard's report to find out more.
A new tool in the fight against house fires and fire fighter fatalities is on trial in Cumbria.
Called the Cobra, it can bust holes through walls and doors to douse flames without firemen having to enter buildings that can be twice as hot as domestic ovens.
The risk of dying in an accidental house fire increases by 50% over the festive season so firefighters are calling on Cumbria’s households to put fire safety at the top of their Christmas lists.
Last year there were 27 house fires between 15 December and 5 January compared to 17 from 15 January to 5 February 2014.
Cumbria County Council’s Fire and Rescue Service is issuing the following hints and tips for festive fire safety:
- Ensure you have a working smoke alarm installed on all levels of your home. Test your smoke alarms weekly and never remove batteries.
- Never leave cooking unattended and avoid cooking while under the influence of alcohol. The majority of fires start in the kitchen so this is a high risk area. Always turn off kitchen appliances when you have finished cooking.
- Never leave candles unattended. Keep decorations, cards and wrapping paper away from candles, fires, lights and heaters.
- Ensure you switch off Christmas tree and fairy lights and unplug them before you go to bed, or leave the house. Check your lights conform to the British Standard (BS EN 60598).
- Always use an RCD (residual current device) on outdoor electrical equipment. This safety device can save lives by instantly switching off the power if there is a fault and can be found in any DIY store.
- Don’t overload sockets – ensure only one plug per socket. Always turn off plugs when they are not in use, except those that are designed to be left on, like freezers.
- When dry, real Christmas trees can take less than a minute to completely involve a room in fire so it’s essential real trees are kept in a suitable stand that can be topped up with water.
- Always use a fire guard on a real open fire to protect against flying sparks and hot embers. Also make sure embers are properly out before going to bed.
- Make sure cigarettes are extinguished properly and never smoke in bed. Put it out, right out.
- Check on older relatives and neighbours this Christmas to ensure their safety at this time of year.
- In the event of fire - get out, stay out and call 999.
Five fire engines and a number of officers are currently dealing with a 'significant' fire at Cumbria Waste Management in Carlisle.
Crews were called to the site shortly before 4pm. More information as we get it.