Live updates

Advertisement

Funding boost for Jedburgh

Credit: ITV Border

A Borders town has been awarded more than three-quarters of a million pounds to help preserve its heritage and boost employment.

Historic Environment Scotland (HES) has earmarked £866,500 of Conservation Area Regeneration Scheme funding for repairs and improvements to Jedburgh.

The aim is to make Jedburgh a more attractive town to visit as the ‘Historic Gateway to Scotland’, and build on the heritage and local attractions, including Jedburgh Abbey and a proposed new distillery.

"Many of our town centres are facing real challenges and we know Jedburgh has issues in terms of deteriorating buildings, increasing vacancy rates and declining footfall. So we are delighted this funding will begin to help address some of these issues and act as a catalyst for regeneration in the town.

“I would encourage local businesses and community groups to continue to work with us to make Jedburgh a really welcoming attractive destination for visitors particularly for those coming over the border.”

– Cllr Stuart Bell, Scottish Borders Council

Curle says his players need to 'knuckle down' for tonight's match

Credit: PA

Carlisle United play Cheltenham tonight still smarting after their three nil loss to Portsmouth at the weekend.

Keith Curle says his players need to knuckle down and fight back with a good result this evening.

We caused a very good team some big problems so, there are elements that we can still work on, we need to work on, we are still a work in progress, there is more to come from this group. We need a reaction and I have not got a problem with that."

– Keith Curle, Carlisle United

360-tonne machine built to clean up most hazardous building at Sellafield

Credit: ITV Border

A huge machine has been assembled that will clean up the most hazardous building at Sellafield.

The 360-tonne machine will retrieve radioactive waste from the Magnox Swarf Storage Silo, when it's switched on.

It's an enormous step forward for us, 20 years in the making, of getting to the position where we've got the first machine that can start to retrieve waste from these silos."

– John Clarke, Chief Executive, Nuclear Decommissioning Authority

Advertisement

CUFC: talks with potential investor have ended

Brunton Park. Credit: ITV News

Widespread speculation that Carlisle United could benefit from a mystery billionaire investor ended on Monday evening when the club issued a formal statement confirming they have decided to end long standing talks with a 'Potential Overseas Investor (POI).

It said:

"The discussions started 20 months ago and were somewhat intermittent for the most part. Since June last year talks have progressed to a series of face-to-face meetings and, just over three months ago, an investment proposal was submitted following a visit to Brunton Park by the POI.

This was considered closely and carefully. It was followed up by a written offer to invest in the Club, which included a funding proposal.

Although there has been some movement, it was felt by the shareholders that these proposals did not present a way forward they could support and, just as crucially, the proposals were unlikely to gain the support of CUOSC members, or the Club’s fans more generally.

The Club understands that the prolonged period of time these discussions have taken has not been what anyone would have wanted. Throughout, the shareholders have sought to allow sufficient time and every opportunity for credible proposals to come forward, to be properly and diligently reviewed and for a deal to be done, if possible. This process has now run its course and we have drawn a line, and we are now looking forward.

The desire to see new investment and a succession of ownership to take the Club forward remains unchanged."

Load more updates