Two dogs have died after contaminated food was put through the letter box of their Galashiels home.
The poisoning incident took place at a house in Forest Gardens on Monday afternoon.
The dogs became seriously ill and later died.
Police Scotland have issued letters to residents in neighbouring streets for any potential witnesses to come forward.
"Police received a report of two pets becoming ill after ingesting a suspicious food substance in Forest Gardens, Galashiels, between 1.30pm and 5pm on Monday, May 18.
"Enquiries are currently ongoing to establish the full circumstances surrounding this incident."
Anyone with information about the incident is asked to contact Police Scotland on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously via 0800 555111.
Scottish Borders Council has teamed up with two charities to offer six free microchipping events for dogs in the Scottish Borders.
The events have been organised ahead of the Scottish Government's plans to introduce compulsory microchipping in April 2016.
Two of them are being held with Dogs Trust on the following dates and at the following venues:
- Friday 24 April, Wilton Lodge Park, Hawick (10am to 2pm)
- Friday 15 May, Linkim Court, Eyemouth (10am to 2pm).
Four further events are being held in conjunction with the charity PDSA, and a free wellbeing check from the veterinary charity will also be included.
- Tuesday 26 May, Duns Square (9.30am to 4.30pm)
- Wednesday 27 May, Kingsmeadow Road Car Park Peebles (9.30am to 4.30pm)
- Thursday 28 May, Public Park, Galashiels (9.30am to 4.30pm)
- Friday 29 May, Wilton Lodge Park, Hawick (9.30am to 4.30pm).
Scottish Borders council hopes the events, which will work on a first come first serve basis, will help owners comply with the new legislation.
It is estimated that 10,000 dogs across the UK were reunited with their owners due to microchipping last year and these free sessions are ideal for owners to comply with the new legislation, which begins in 12 months.
“I would also encourage owners to take up the opportunity to get a free wellbeing check for their pet at one of the events with the PDSA in May.”
Dog owners are warned about an outbreak of the potentially deadly Canine Parvovirus. ITV Border have been finding out exactly what it is.Read the full story ›
Dog owners are being warned about a potentially lethal virus that has seen an animal shelter in Cumbria having to quarantine its kennels.
Wetheral Animals Refuge, near Carlisle, has vaccinated all the animals to stop Parvovirus from spreading, but they say dog owners are the key to containing the disease.
An animal refuge centre in Cumbria has been quarantined, as a precaution, after an outbreak of a potentially deadly virus.
Wetheral Animal Refuge have vaccinated all the animals to stop the virus from spreading after cases of Canine Parvovirus have been reported across the UK.
Their director, David Jordan, says it's not hard to stop the disease from spreading.
An animal refuge centre has partly closed after an outbreak of the deadly Parvovirus.
Wetheral Animal Refuge have vaccinated all the animals to stop the virus from spreading, but director David Jordan says dog owners are key to containing the disease
Dog owners in Dumfries are being warned to take care of their pets when visiting supermarkets or shops.
There have been a number of incidents of dogs being let off their leads after owners tied up outside shops as they went inside.
In one case, a Border terrier was released from an unlocked car.
Another saw a Jack Russell terrier and a Staffordshire terrier released from leads while tied up outside.
All occurred at the Morrisons storein Dumfries.
The dogs were later found wandering around other supermarket stores car parks, quite some distance from where they were last seen.
A Bedlington whippet, which had been tied up outside the Co-op in Annan was also taken, later turning up 16 miles away at the Morrisons car park in Dumfries.
Police are unsure of the motive of these incidents.
“Clearly dogs being targeted for whatever reason, and whilst in these four cases there has been a happy ending, the next dog may not be so lucky. Owners should ensure that they do not leave their pets open to possible theft or interference when out and about shopping.”
Cumbria police's dog section has unveiling its latest recruits.
The current canine crime fighting team are being joined by ten springer spaniel puppies. They were born in October but are now old enough to join to force.
Earlier today our reporter Ryan Dollard went to meet them, but they didn't seem too happy to see him:
Cumbria Police have ten new, eager recruits on their hands this Christmas.
Millie, one of the force's operational dogs, gave birth to the puppies in October.
PC Paddy Bainbridge from Cumbria Police said: "We've bred these puppies to help Cumbria Constbulary in the fight against drugs. We are over the moon with them. They are bred from two of our existing dogs and they just seem to be everything we want."