Thousands of fish have died after a serious pollution leak in Cumbria.
A team of Environment Agency officers are currently tackling the problem, at Skitwath and Dacre Becks, near Penruddock.
An investigation into a slurry leak, which killed thousands of fish in the Penruddock area on the fringes of the Lake District, is continuing.
Members of the public reported brown water, and dead fish floating on the surface, at at Skitwath and Dacre Becks.
Environment Agency officers were sent to contain the leak, which was found to have been slurry.
Thousands of fish, including trout and salmon, died, and officers remain in the area investigating.
Members of the public raised the alarm after seeing dead fish floating on the brown water at Skitwath and Dacre Becks, near Penruddock.Read the full story ›
Cumbrian youngsters are being taught the joys of angling as part of an initiative to promote National Fishing Month.
A hundred and fifty pupils from five schools have been involved so far. As well as learning how to fly fish, they are being shown how to do it safely and legally. Kim Inglis went to see a group from Keswick in action.
Youngsters are being taught the joys of angling as part of an initiative to promote National Fishing Month.
Around 150 Cumbrian school children have been involved so far. As well as learning how to fly fish, they are learning about the environment and how important it is to preserve the region's waterways.
The Environment Agency says it carried out more than 30 patrols to catch people fishing illegally in Cumbria and Lancashire over the May Bank Holiday weekends.
It's a particularly bad time, because May falls within the coarse fishing 'close season', when coarse angling is suspended on rivers, streams, and specified canals and stillwaters to protect spawning fish.
During the two Bank Holiday weekends, Agency staff carried out 61 visits to waters across Cumbria and Lancashire, served more than 62 report forms for illegal fishing, and checked more than 628 anglers for rod licences.
Our enforcement teams have been in out in force – particularly over the last couple of bank holidays – and will continue to be over the coming months.
The number of anglers caught red-handed is testament to how seriously we take illegal fishing but worryingly it shows a blatant disregard for the law and the health of fisheries.
People who don’t buy a licence are not only cheating other anglers and the future of the sport but running the risk of criminal conviction and a fine. There is no excuse – it costs just £27 for a whole year and you can buy it from the Post Office website.”
Investigations are continuing into a suspected palm oil discovery in Maryport.
The substance is potentially deadly to dogs.
The waste has also been found recently on several beaches in southern Scotland.
Anyone who sees the substance is being asked to contact health officials immediately on 01900 702800.
The discovery of a substance, believed to be one that can be deadly to dogs, is being investigated. The waste was found on a beach in Marport and is being tested to see if it is solidified palm oil. Palm Oil has a wide variety of uses and is found in food, household products and biofuels.
In the last few weeks it's been found on beaches across Britain including Dumfries and Galloway. Officials there say it's thought it may have been washed ashore after being pumped from ships.
A woman walking on the beach at Maryport found was is believed to be a lump of solidified palm oil.
Tests are now being carried out to find out what it is.
Allerdale Borough Council said it's the first incident it has come across involving the discovery of solidified palm oil on the beach.
The council want to reassure the public that this is an isolated incident and yesterdays discovery will be disposed of safely.
If the public spot something they believe is palm oil, they are advised to keep dogs away from it and report it to the customers services team at Allerdale Borough Council on 01900 702800.
The Environment Agency says a lump of allegedly solidified palm oil has been found washed up on Maryport beach. A member of the public made the disovery. The EA says it is working with the local authority to investigate further and arrange for a safe disposal.
If members of the public find similar material on the beach they should report it to the local authority environmental health department.
Similar discoveries have also been made on beaches in Dumfries and Galloway in recent weeks. The chalky white substance can be fatal to pets.