Live updates

Man killed in fire is named

A man who died in a house fire in Ryanview Crescent in Stranraer, on Saturday 8th November, has been named by Police Scotland as 91-year-old Norman Fidler.

The Procurator Fiscal has been informed and a joint fire investigation with Police Scotland and the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service is to take place to establish the cause of the fire, which at this stage is not thought to be suspicious.

Waste facility to re-open Monday following fire

Shanks Waste Management have said they will re-open on Monday following a fire at their building in Carlisle.

At 12.50am last night, 6th November, four fire engines were called to a fire involving 3000 tonnes of waste at Shanks Waste Management in Hespin Wood, Rockcliffe.

"Shanks can confirm that there has been a small fire at its Hespin Wood facility in Carlisle. We are pleased that our efficient incident management procedures meant that nobody was hurt and there was no damage to the building or equipment. We expect to restart operations at the facility on Monday and investigations into the source of the fire will begin immediately. We would like to thank the fire service for their assistance in dealing with the small fire quickly and efficiently.”

– Official statement from Shanks Waste Management

Advertisement

Fire involved 3000 tonnes of waste

The fire was at Shanks Waste Management in Carlisle Credit: ITV Border

A fire, involving 3000 tonnes of waste, has been extinguished in Carlisle.

At 12.50am last night, 6th November, four fire engines were called to a fire involving 3000 tonnes of waste at Shanks Waste Management in Rockcliffe, Carlisle.

Four on site monitors, a main jet and a water bowser were used by the crews to extinguish the blaze. One fire engine remains at the scene monitoring the waste for hotspots.

How to stay safe this Bonfire Night

Ahead of Bonfire night an operation is underway to try to stop anti-social behaviour and people starting nuisance fires.

The advice is that sticking to organised bonfire and fireworks shows is the simplest way to stay safe.

But the police, fire service and a range of other agencies are issuing advice on safety for those planning their own celebrations. It's part of Operation Roman Candle, which appears to be making a difference.

It was set up in 2007, and in that year there were 88 nuisance fires in Carlisle over the Halloween and Bonfire Night periods. By 2012 the number had fallen to just nine fires.

But there's still on average four times more nuisance fires than at any other time of the year.

Tim Backshall has been to see one example of good practice over the Bonfire night period. Jim Onions is the Deputy Chief Fire Officer for Cumbria:

Fire at club causes collapse of building

A fire is currently being attended to by firefighters at a social club in the Penninghame area of Newton Stewart.

A call to the fire service was made at 12:30 this afternoon (Wednesday 2 July). There are no reports of any casualties as a result of this incident, however the single-storey building has partially collapsed.

Crews are using three main water jets to tackle the fire. Scottish Fire and Rescue service resources at the scene include two appliances from Newton Stewart and one each from Gatehouse, New Galloway and Stranraer.

Advertisement

MSP pledges support for fire dogs

The Scottish MSP Joan McAlpine MSP is pledging her support to a fire dog detection team which she has described as a "vital service" to the local community.

A car has now been supplied to K9 Response, where it will be used by dog handler Duncan Carmichael to help with their life-saving work across the country.

Duncan and Billy the Fire Dog will use the car to visit the aftermath of fires thought to be suspicious to collect evidence.

The South of Scotland MSP has also been campaigning with Duncan for Fire Dogs to be used more widely in the Fire Service.

Load more updates