Live updates

Farmhouse fire in Dumfries and Galloway

The farmhouse where the fire occurred last night Credit: ITV Border

Firefighters rescued two pet dogs and saved a farmhouse from being engulfed by flames in Dumfries and Galloway last night.

A man and a girl suffering from the effects of smoke were also treated with oxygen therapy at the scene, before being taken to hospital for precautionary check-ups.

Crews from Annan were sent to the incident in Kirtlebridge in response to a 999 call that was made shortly before 8:30pm.

Suspicious fire in Sanquhar

Police are investigation a fire in Sanquhar Credit: PA

Police Scotland is investigating a suspicious fire at an outhouse at a property in Sanquhar.

The fire in Plantainside, at around 2.30pm on Thursday 12 February, left the outhouse "slightly damaged".

Police want to find two young males, in their late teens/early twenties, one wearing a grey hooded top and the other a brown hooded top who were seen in the area around the time the fire was discovered.

Advertisement

Homes evacuated after lorry blaze

Homes were evacuated this morning following a lorry fire in Dumfries and Galloway.

Firefighters are currently tackling the blaze on the A712 at Balmaclellan near New Galloway.

Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) crews were mobilised to the incident in response to a 999 call made at 11:15am, with two appliances initially sent from Dalbeattie and New Galloway.

A third appliance was dispatched from Castle Douglas at the request of first responders and firefighters in breathing apparatus are working to extinguish the fire using a high pressure jet.

Police Scotland officers are in attendance to control traffic on surrounding roads as the lorry is situated at a junction.

Nearby homes were evacuated as a precautionary measure however residents have since been allowed to return to the properties following confirmation that two propane cylinders on the vehicle are empty.

There are no reports of any injuries.

World War II firecart still in use

A firecart from the Second World War is still being used to respond to emergencies in a village in Cumbria.

The cart, which is equipped with several hoses, is operated by a group of volunteers in Dufton.

Most firecarts around the country were returned after the war.

Dufton was allowed to keep this one as it argued that the village is sometimes cut off by snow.

Gala Fairydean Rovers call for memorabilia

Memorabilia was destroyed in the blaze Credit: ITV Border

People with memorabilia of Gala Fairydean Rovers Football Club are being asked to share photographs or items with the club.

A fire destroyed the kit room where photographs from as far back as the 1920's were kept, along with trophies.

The club would like anyone with items to contact them directly.

Gala Fairydean Rovers memorabilia destroyed in blaze

Club memorabilia was destroyed in the fire Credit: ITV Border

Photographs dating back to the 1920's and trophies are among memorabilia destroyed in a fire at a clubhouse at Netherdale in Galashiels.

The club room belonging to Gala Fairydean Football Club went up in flames in the early hours of this morning (23rd December).

Police Scotland are investigating the fire.

Honorary President Jim Gray says the club are devastated.

There was a brand new kitchen fitted, there was merchandising kit in the place, there was tables, chairs, a TV, which all can be replaced, but the memorabilia that was in the hospitality suite dated from the 1920's to present day. We have lost trophies, pennants we have been given from other clubs, memorabilia when Glasgow Rangers came down here to open the floodlights, the lot is lost.

– Jim Gray, Gala Fairydean Rovers
Inside the club house Credit: ITV Border
Police Scotland are investigating the fire Credit: ITV Border

Advertisement

Man killed in fire is named

A man who died in a house fire in Ryanview Crescent in Stranraer, on Saturday 8th November, has been named by Police Scotland as 91-year-old Norman Fidler.

The Procurator Fiscal has been informed and a joint fire investigation with Police Scotland and the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service is to take place to establish the cause of the fire, which at this stage is not thought to be suspicious.

Condition of rescued man unknown

Fire appliances from Stranraer and Newton Stewart were called to a bungalow on Ryanview crescent at around 7:30pm on Saturday evening. An injured man was taken from the property to the Galloway Community Hospital, no details of his condition have so far been released.

Firefighters attempt to put out the fire at Ryanview Crescent Credit: Jim Ryder
Load more updates