Live updates

Local MSP tours Borders health centre

Christine Grahame MSP, Midlothian South, Tweeddale and Lauderdale Credit: ITV News Border

A local MSP has been meeting staff and patients at the largest health centre in the Borders.

Midlothian South, Tweedale and Lauderdale MSP Christine Grahme visited Galashiels Health Centre on Currie Road to find out how staff there are coping.

She discussed with GP's how government policies such as the so-called bedroom tax are affecting health issues.

Ms Grahame said:

"One of the biggest and newest issues is the impact of the benefits cuts, as well as bedroom tax on patients here.

"The GP say there are more people stressed, more people taking antidepressants, and GP's are having to fill in more forms to support patients.

On the facility, she said:

"It is good to have brought together district nurses, community pharmacies and paediatricians and NHS Borders has facilities here.

"It is all under one roof and allows people to access healthcare from a central location"

Man in court over Galashiels Health Centre disturbance

Police at the scene of the incident at Galashiels Health Centre Credit: ITV News Border

A man who doused himself with petrol at a Borders health centre has appeared in court.

Galashiels Health Centre was evacuated when John McCarry went into a consulting room, poured petrol over his head and held a lighter in his hand.

Selkirk Sheriff Court heard that Mr McCarry was furious that he would lose his benefits because Job Centre Officials had declared him fit to work.

He admitted a breach of the peace charge and sentencing was adjourned until the end of May.


Man in court over Galashiels 'disturbance'

Police presence at Galashiels Health Centre Credit: ITV News Border

A 49-year-old man has made a private court appearance in connection with a three-hour stand-off with police at a health centre in the Borders.

John McCarry appeared on petition from custody at Jedburgh Sheriff Court facing a charge of breach of the peace.

It relates to a disturbance at Galashiels Health Centre yesterday afternoon (28th February) when around 30 staff and patients had to leave the building.

No plea or declaration was made and the case was continued.

He was remanded in custody.