A new £860,000 community recycling centre opened in Kelso today (Monday 18 May).
The facility in Pinnaclehill Industrial Estate is the seventh recycling centre to open in the Borders and will be open seven days a week, with a wide variety of materials being accepted for recycling, along with general waste.
Scottish Borders Council says it aims to make recycling simpler for residents in the Kelso area and has been designed to allow waste to be put into recycling skips more easily and to keep the majority of works traffic away from the public.
The decision to build a community recycling centre followed a review by Scottish Borders Council in 2013, resulting in the new facility in Kelso.
An adjacent factory unit has also been adapted to create a new depot for the council’s neighbourhood services department, at a cost of £324,000.
“I am delighted to see Kelso Community Recycling Centre open to the public.
“Community Recycling Centres play an important role in supporting the Council’s kerbside waste and recycling collection services.
“The new recycling centre has also brought a former derelict piece of land back into use and should reduce the amount of waste we send to landfill.
“I hope Kelso’s residents will make use of this new facility.”
Opening times for Kelso Community Recycling Centre are: Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm; Saturday and Sunday, 9am to 4pm.
For a full list of materials which are accepted at Kelso CRC, visit www.scotborders.gov.uk/recyclingcentres.
Around 70 artists are displaying their work at Kelso's Springwood Park this weekend, at the Borders Art Fair.
Organisers say it's a chance for local artists to showcase their craft under one roof.
The event was started last year by artist Denise Playfair and Jane Smith, who felt there was no one 'banging the drum' for art in the Borders.
The event is taking place from 10am until 5pm and entry is free.
Monthly tea-parties are now being held in the Scottish Borders for people who live on their own - and the charity running them is calling for more hosts. Lori Carnochan reports.
Contact the Elderly puts on tea parties to give older people some company, and their Scottish Borders branch is proving popular.Read the full story ›
The start of building works for the new Kelso High School has been delayed by a European ruling.
Scottish Borders Council secured planning permission for the new school in October last year.
But European rules affecting some investment projects - including Scotland’s Schools for the Future programme - have put a halt on the £21.4 million project.
The Council says those involved are working to ensure a solution is found as soon as possible.
A exhibition commemorating Kelso’s role in First World War is requesting artefacts from the public.
Friends of Kelso Museum along with other community groups in the town are working with Scottish Borders Council to host the event during Kelso Civic Week, which runs from Monday 13 July to Saturday 18 July.
They are appealing for items to display in the exhibition, including letters, photographs, and military and personal documents. They are also looking for individuals who can recall stories about their family's involvement in the war.
Anyone who can lend an item is asked to contact Assistant Curator Andrew Tulloch before Saturday 28 February.
The Jim Clark Rally will be held in 2015, but not on closed roads.
And most of the Rally will take place in Kielder Woods, on the other side of the border.
Jenny Longden has this report:
Scottish Borders Council has responded to the announcement that the Jim Clark Rally will go ahead this year, but in a different location.
Organisers were forced to look elsewhere as investigations continue into a crash that killed three people during last year's closed road event.
But while the local authority ruled that the rally can't be held on the Berwickshire roads in 2015, organisers plan to hold a rally in the Kielder forest instead with a base at Kelso.
A Scottish Borders Council spokesperson said:
"We are very pleased that the rally organisers have managed to arrange an event for this summer, and that it will be based in the Scottish Borders.
"The use of private land is a good alternative to ensure a Jim Clark Rally can take place in 2015, and we continue to look forward to the event's return to closed public roads in the future"
MSP John Lamont has welcomed the news that this year's Jim Clark Rally will be going ahead:
“It is very welcome news that the organisers of the Jim Clark Rally have been able to organise a special stage event for 2015.
"I am especially pleased that the rally will start in the Borders, before heading across the Border.
"I also look forward to meeting with the Lord Advocate shortly to discuss what can be done to ensure the planning for the 2016 event is not unnecessarily delayed.”
The Jim Clark Rally will be going ahead this year, but not on closed roads.Read the full story ›