Live updates

Keswick Guest House says government insurance scheme will be worse for them

The owners of a Guest House in Keswick have launched a petition to change the Government's new Flood Re Insurance Scheme.

It means people at risk of flooding can't be refused insurance but Steve and Steph Curtis say it wouldn't help businesses like theirs.

Bramblewood Cottage was flooded last month and has a big excess after suffering in 2009 as well.

Warning as people ignore A591 closure signs

There was major destruction on the A591. Credit: ITV News

Pedestrians and cyclists are being warned to stay away from a flood-damaged Lake District Road.

Cumbria County Council say people have been risking their safety by moving fencing and ignoring closure signs on the A591 around Thirlmere.

They have warned that this could delay construction work that is ongoing to repair the road, as well as putting people's safety at risk.

Advertisement

Lake District MRT teams deployed to flooded areas

Keswick MRT carrying out evacuations in York Credit: Keswick MRT

Lake District mountain rescue team volunteers gave up their Boxing Day celebrations to go across and help communities in Lancashire and Yorkshire who have been hit by Storm Eva causing flooding.

Forty volunteers trained in swift water rescue were deployed with 4x4 vehicles to carry out evacuations and assist the emergency services. The support involved eight of the twelve Lake District teams.

"On Christmas Day and Boxing Day we had more than a hundred team members on standby in case there was further flooding in Cumbria. "When this didn't materialise we were asked to go and assist those communities who had been affected by flooding in Lancashire and York.

"In total we have sent across forty swift water rescue technicians to help with rescues and evacuations.

"These volunteers have given up their Christmas celebrations to help communities in need. I'm proud to work beside them and thank their friends and family for supporting them."

– Richard Warren, Chairman LDSAMRA
Keswick Mountain Rescue Team carry out evacuations in York Credit: Keswick Mountain Rescue Team

All team members have since returned to Cumbria as hundreds of walkers take to fells to make the most of the sunny weather over the Lake District National Park.

Watch: Lake District roads devastated by Desmond

Dozens of roads remain closed and hundreds of bridges are being inspected for flood damage in the wake of storm Desmond.

The worst affected is the A591 between Keswick and Grasmere. It will be closed for several months.

Matthew Taylor was the first reporter to see the damage close up with Karl Melville from Cumbrian Highways. Watch his report:

Family 'extremely disappointed' after gas fitter spared jail

Kelly Webster and her daughter Lauren Thornton Credit: ITV Border

The family of a 36-year-old woman, and her ten-year-old daughter, who died from carbon monoxide poisoning, say they are "extremely disappointed" after a gas fitter was found criminally responsible for their deaths, but spared a prison sentence.

Kelly Webster, 36, and Lauren Thornton, 10, were overcome by carbon monoxide fumes after Mr Eteson, Kelly's partner, fitted a dodgy generator on board his boat.

In a statement released by Cumbria Police, the family said Mr Eteson "has never apologised nor shown any kind of remorse":

The family are extremely disappointed with the sentencing imposed in this case. It is completely disproportionate given that two lives have been lost. We have lived with the unbearable loss of Kelly and Lauren for over two and a half years. Eteson has never apologised nor shown any kind of remorse.

The family and friends request privacy at this difficult time.”

– Family statement

Boat death case 'should act as a warning'

The Crown Prosecution Service says the sentencing of a gas fitter, whose poor work led to the deaths of his partner and her daughter, should serve as a warning.

Matthew Eteson avoided a jail term, and had his two-year sentence suspended:

As a registered gas fitter, Matthew Eteston knew the dangers of carbon monoxide and knew the risk of death if the pipework designed to evacuate the exhaust gases failed. Tragically, the poor design and construction of the work he carried out on the exhaust system directly led to the deaths of Kelly Webster and Lauren Thornton.

This case should act as a warning about the terrible consequences of such a poor standard of work in the installation of appliances. Although Matthew Eteson did not intend to cause their deaths, the jury, who heard all the evidence, found that Kelly and Lauren lost their lives because of his gross negligence, and the obvious dangers that he created. They therefore found him criminally responsible for their deaths.

Our thoughts and sympathies are with Kelly and Lauren’s families and friends at this time, who have been left devastated by their deaths.”

– Joanna White, Senior Crown Prosecutor from CPS

Advertisement

Finding Jasper... one year on

Jasper Credit: ITV Border

One year ago today, Jasper the dog was finally found, after he went missing for three days in the Lake District.

A massive social media campaign followed - #FindJasper - and the border collie's photo was shared more than 250,000 times.

Langdale Mountain Rescuers urge walkers not to rely on helicopter rescue

Credit: Wasdale Mountain Rescue

The Langdale and Ambleside Mountain Rescue Team is asking people not to rely on being rescued by helicopter when out on the fells, after one its busiest weekends of the year.

The team had to call on help from neighbouring mountain rescue teams when it was called out four times in one day on Saturday.

Two of the rescues were serious and poor conditions caused a mountain rescue member to need help, but the team says the fourth rescue could have been prevented with better preparation.

The team says helicopters are only used when someone is seriously hurt and they often have to come from an hour away.

Windermere Carbon Monoxide deaths: Gas fitter found GUILTY of manslaughter

Kelly Webster and her daughter Lauren Thornton Credit: ITV Border

A gas fitter has been found guilty of causing the deaths of his partner and her 10-year-old daughter on board a boat on Lake Windermere.

Kelly Webster, 36, and Lauren Thornton, 10, were overcome by carbon monoxide fumes after Kelly’s partner, Matthew Eteson fitted a dodgy generator on board his boat.

The boat, Arniston, was harboured on Lake Windermere at the time of the tragedy.

Prior to the tragedy on Easter Monday 2013, Eteson - a qualified Gas Safe engineer - had fitted a silencer to the generator, joining copper piping to steel using solder and jubilee clips.

He then brought the generator below deck to power a fan heater to warm the cabin where Kelly and Lauren slept.

On the afternoon of April 1, Eteson, of Appleton Road, Hale, woke feeling unwell as Kelly and Lauren napped blow deck.

He told police he thought he was having heart problems and made his way above deck to get some fresh air.

But minutes later he returned to find Kelly and Lauren, of Leyland, Lancs, had been overcome by fumes from the petrol powered generator.

Eteson, who throughout the trial sat outside the dock, supported by his father, denied criminal negligence manslaughter.

He did not give evidence as the court heard he is suffering from post traumatic stress disorder after discovering Kelly and Lauren’s bodies.

However the jury at Preston Crown Court unanimously found him guilty of their manslaughter as he ought to have known the modifications he made to the generator were not suitable and that it was unsafe to bring an outdoor generator indoors.

As the guilty verdicts were returned members of the Webster and Thornton families sobbed and comforted each other in the public gallery.

Eteson and his father looked down.

High court judge Mr Justice Turner adjourned the sentence hearing until November 13 to allow pre-sentence and psychiatric reports to be prepared.

In a prepared statement on behalf of both families, Lauren’s dad Neil Thornton said:

Throughout this trial it has become clear to the families of both Kelly and Lauren that the modifications carried out by Matthew Eteson directly contributed to their premature deaths.

His conscious decision to install an improvised exhaust system on a generator within a confined space was doomed to fail and ultimately led to Kelly and Lauren losing their lives.

This should serve as a warning to others of the dangers of do-it-yourself work and a failure to properly risk assess the work and to the potential consequences of death by carbon monoxide poisoning.

The families of both Kelly and Lauren would like to thank their family and friends for their love and support throughout this difficult time.

– Neil Thornton
Load more updates