One of Penrith's most historic buildings, the Mansion House, has been put up for sale by the council this morning for £1.1 million.
Proceeds from the sale will help Eden District Council finance its one public service site project.
The building dates back to 1750.
It was purchased by Penrith Rural District Council in 1919 and was later inherited by Eden District Council.
Commerical property consultants say it could be developed for residential or retail use or as a hotel.