Live updates

Historic bridge saved

It was opened by Sir Walter Scott in 1832, but when a new bridge was built over the Tweed, it quickly fell into a state of disrepair. After decades of neglect, repairs will now be carried out on the Old Tweed Bridge which spans the river near Scott's old residence Abbotsford House.

The local council and the Scottish Government had argued over who should look after the bridge, but now a deal between the two has been agreed to cover the cost of the repairs.