A family have had a lucky escape after their home was destroyed by fire. Emergency services were called to Elcho Street in Peebles just after 3 o'clock this morning.
A couple and their 3 year old daughter managed to escape the property unhurt, but the fire and rescue service say it could have been much worse - particulary as there were no working smoke alarms inside. Jenny Longden has sent this report
The fire Brigade say a family of three has a lucky escape after a fire in their home. They believe it was caused by a candle that was left burning.
Firefighters from Peebles in the Scottish Borders were called to a ground floor flat in Elcho Street in Peebles at 3.11am on Monday (22nd October).
On arrival, crews found the property well alight. The three occupants, a man aged 42, a woman aged 41 and a three-year-old girl managed to get out of the building before firefighters arrived and were all treated for smoke inhalation. They were taken to Border General Hospital.
A spokeswoman said:
“Early indications suggest the fire broke out as a result of a candle left burning in the property. This is something that we have seen before and we cannot stress enough if you use candles that you must make sure they are fully extinguished before going to bed.
“There was no smoke detection in the flat either and so it is fair to say the family had a very lucky escape.
"The family were alerted to emergency by the sounds of the fire crackling and banging. When fire breaks out, particularly in the early hours of the morning, it can be very disorientating and the risks of being overcome by smoke are significant.
“We believe every home should have a working smoke detector. It provides vital early warning if fire does break out, allowing you to escape from the fire safely and call us out.
– Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service
“We are very relieved that the family in question managed to do this although they did suffer smoke inhalation. We wish them a speedy recovery and would take this opportunity to remind people of the need for vigilance when it comes to fire safety.
“Get into the habit of making checks in your home before you go to bed or leave your home for the day. In addition, make sure you have a working smoke alarm in your house. It really could save your life one day.”
The fire extensively damaged the flat and the smoke affected surrounding properties. Five residents from neighbouring properties had to be evacuated.
If you live in the Lothian and Borders area you arrange a free home safety visit and fitting of smoke detectors as required by calling 0800 169 0320.
People in Peebles are taking part in a world record breaking attempt to shoot the most hoops in basketball.
The challenge has been taken on by YMCA groups across the world, including Peebleshire Youth Trust, who are affiliated with the charity.
So far more than 100 people have been to the Gytes Leisure Centre in Peebles to have a go. In order to break the current record, 5 million people across the world need to pick up a basketball between 11am -3pm today.
Basketball enthusiast in Peebles are taking part in a world record attempt.
They will be taking part in the YMCA's worldwide attempt for shooting the most basketball hoops in a day.
Volunteers are urged to go and join in at the leisure centre in the town.
Project Coordinator, Angie Preston, from the Youth Trust said:
– Project Coordinator, Angie Preston
"The YMCA World Challenge is a great way for local people to come together as a community and take part in something new and exciting.
"We hope that the event will give everyone the chance to have a go and make history whilst setting a new Guinness World Record.
"Craig White, local basketball player and coach will be at the event on the day to encourage you to have a go. Adults and children are all welcome, so whether you are 1 or 101 we would love to see you there!"
Scott Brash has been giving people in his home town of Peebles in the Scottish Borders the chance to admire his medal.
He and his horse Hello Sanctos were part of the winning British showjumping team.
The GB Olympic Equestrian team have spoken to ITV News about winning their gold medal at the London Olympics.
Part of the team was Peebles born Scott Brash who explained how he is looking forward to going home again.
The team which consisted of Nick Skelton, Ben Maher, Peter Charles and Brash beat the Dutch team in a jump-off and made Olympic history by gaining the first jumping gold for 60 years.