Police investigating the death of a man at the Pirelli factory in Carlisle have now said that they think it was an accident. 48 year old George Falder was found in an industrial steam oven on Sunday evening (30th September).
Police had been treating his death as suspicious, but now say it could have been an accident.The circumstances surrounding the death remain unexplained and investigations will continue on behalf of the coroner.
Detective Chief Inspector Mike Forrester has been leading the dedicated team of detectives who have spoken to around 50 people as part of enquiries to date.
A post mortem examination found the father of two had not been assaulted before he died. The inquest has been adjourned until next April.
DCI Forrester said:
“We are into the fifth day of our investigation and so far, my team has spoken to around 50 people who have been able to help us with our enquiries. I would like to thank each and every person for coming forward to speak to us – they have been very helpful.
“I would also like to express sincere thanks to the management and staff at Pirellis for their help and cooperation throughout this very difficult week.
“As a result of a full and thorough investigation, we are at a stage where we are satisfied that no crime has taken place.
"Mr Falder’s tragic death has had a real impact on all his family, friends and colleagues. His family have been kept informed throughout our investigation and are being supported during this terrible time.
“Our investigation will now continue on behalf of the coroner and we will continue to assist the Health and Safety Executive as they continue their own enquiries.”
John Stevenson, the MP for Carlisle, has spoken to ITV Border about his reaction to the news that millions of pounds wil be invested into the Pirelli factory in Carlisle. The move will both create and safeguard jobs there.
Tyre manufacturer Pirelli has announced a multi million pound investment in its Carlisle factory.
The Italian firm will spend £11.4 million in research and development, creating 37 new jobs and protecting a further 120 more.
The announcement was made at a British Business forum in London this morning.
Last year the company recieved government money as part of a project to boost economic growth. The Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg said:
“The skills and expertise of British businesses are gold medal standard and highly sought after across the world.
“The UK is one of the top ten manufacturers in the world. Our manufacturing sector is a national success story and lies right at the heart of our strategy for economic recovery and growth.
“The announcements being made today will create and safeguard jobs and stimulate growth. They are a welcome boost to British business and a vote of confidence in the UK.”
– Nick Clegg, Deputy Prime Minister
Business Secretary Vince Cable added:
“The key to a sustainable and balanced economy is having a long-term approach to growth, investing in manufacturing technology, research and development, and skills so we have the right talent to make the most of the recovery.
“Working with business, we are taking steps to strengthen the UK’s manufacturing capability, ensuring a better business environment that will address barriers to growth and encourage innovation, exports and inward investment as well as build UK supply chains.“