A nurse has been giving evidence at the inquest into the death of 34-year-old plumber David Hagen.
Lyn Farrer was on duty on Mr Hagan's ward at the time. She said she had tried to stop Mr Hagan leaving by holding his arm but he had brushed her aside.
Ms Farrer said she then tried to contact the hospital security but was told there was no one on duty.
Another nurse tried to follow Mr Hagen but he left the hospital.
The police and the hospital's Crisis Team were informed and a description of him issued.
He died just a few hours later at Engine Lonning in Carlisle.
Ms Farrer told the inquest that there was no formal plan on the ward to deal with high risk patients who might abscond but that staff had now been retrained.
The inquest continues.
Day two of the inquest has resumed into the death of a Silloth man who managed to leave hospital despite previous suicide attempts.
34-year-old plumber David Hagen died on June 28th, 2010, in Carlisle shortly after he'd left The Cumberland Infirmary where he'd been admitted following an overdose.
So far this morning the inquest has heard from nurse Lyn Farrer who was on duty on Mr Hagan's ward at the time.
The inquest is due to hear from several other witnesses today including Mr Hagan's widow Abigail Hagan.
An elderly man had to be rescued by RNLI volunteers after his car got stuck in floodwater in West Cumbria.
The 91-year-old, from Penrith, had driven his BMW into water across the Skinburness Marsh Road near Silloth on Monday afternoon.
Police are warning people to stay away from coastal areas at risk of flooding.
The region was on standby for more flooding as strong winds and high tides hit coastal areas early this afternoon.
It's exactly a month after many seaside villages were left counting the cost of some of the worst flooding in decades and after a weekend of stormy weather that damaged roads, homes and businesses.
Kim Inglis reports:
A major clear-up is underway after strong winds and high tides flooded parts of Cumbria's west coast at the weekend, and the Environment Agency say the entire stretch from Gretna to St Bees is likely to flood again.
People living along the Solway are also bracing themselves for more flooding as high tides are expected.
It follows two days of strong winds and high tides in the area.
Meanwhile the road between Silloth and Allonby is closed while engineers assess the damage after hundreds of tonnes of debris were washed ashore.
The coastal route there has been shut since Saturday afternoon.
The coast road between Silloth and Dubmill point in Dumfries and Galloway is closed after tidal surges left large quantities of debris across the carriageway.
It will remain closed tomorrow.
A flood alert is in place along the Solway Coast as businesses and homeowners prepare for more strong winds and high tides.
The Environment Agency said high tide is at 1:30pm and high water can be expected for two hours either side of the peak.
The clear up is underway from yesterday's tidal surge which caused flooding in coastal villages.
The clear-up is underway again in Cumbria and Southern Scotland after more heavy rain battered the coastline.
A flood alert is still in place for Dumfries and Galloway as strong winds combined with a high tide look set to cause more disruption.
The alert has been downgraded from a flood warning which was in place yesterday.
The streets of Kippford, on the Solway Coast, were deserted as a tidal surge combined with high winds flooded the village.
A larger than life Cumbrian councillor is less than half the man he used to be after losing 16 and a half stone through diet and surgery.
Tony Markley, mayor of Silloth, features in ITV's Weight Loss Ward programme tonight.
He has dropped from 31 stone to 14 and a half in four years.
Kim Inglis has been to talk to him.
Police are investigating a spate of milk thefts in Allerdale.
Officers say thieves have been targeting homes in Silloth and Wigton over the last five months.
One suspect was seen jumping from a car to garb a bottle on a doorstep before running back to the car and driving off.
One of those said to be responsible for the thefts is said to be aged between 16 or 17 and of a slim build. He was seen in a grey hooded jacket.
Police ask that anyone with any information should call them on 101.