Cumbria County Council's Trading Standards has been taking action to target rogue traders.
Operation Rogue Trader is part of a week-long national enforcement and awareness initiative.
Operation Rogue Trader says:
- Rogue traders most commonly offer building maintenance and repair work
- Rogue traders target the vulnerable and elderly
- They charge excessive fees for the work
- Work that is carried out is either sub-standard or not carried out at all
– Steve Playle, Trading Standards Institute
"The simple message from trading standards is to always say 'no' to any traders offering to carry out work who unexpectedly turn up on your doorstep."
– Peter Goodman, strategic director of Operation Liberal
“Offenders can be both plausible and intimidating in order to convince their victims to pay prices which are often well above what should normally be charged and certainly does not reflect the work that is carried out, if it is carried out at all."
If you have any suspicions at all about rogue traders call Cumbria Police on 101.