Work has started on a new £17 million museum in Cumbria, which will house some of the world's oldest boats.
Windermere Jetty, owned by Lakeland Arts, is going to display a range of vessels... some dating back to the thirteenth century.
It's expected to open in 2017.
The family of a 36-year-old woman, and her ten-year-old daughter, who died from carbon monoxide poisoning, say they are "extremely disappointed" after a gas fitter was found criminally responsible for their deaths, but spared a prison sentence.
Kelly Webster, 36, and Lauren Thornton, 10, were overcome by carbon monoxide fumes after Mr Eteson, Kelly's partner, fitted a dodgy generator on board his boat.
In a statement released by Cumbria Police, the family said Mr Eteson "has never apologised nor shown any kind of remorse":
The family are extremely disappointed with the sentencing imposed in this case. It is completely disproportionate given that two lives have been lost. We have lived with the unbearable loss of Kelly and Lauren for over two and a half years. Eteson has never apologised nor shown any kind of remorse.
The family and friends request privacy at this difficult time.”
The Crown Prosecution Service says the sentencing of a gas fitter, whose poor work led to the deaths of his partner and her daughter, should serve as a warning.
Matthew Eteson avoided a jail term, and had his two-year sentence suspended:
As a registered gas fitter, Matthew Eteston knew the dangers of carbon monoxide and knew the risk of death if the pipework designed to evacuate the exhaust gases failed. Tragically, the poor design and construction of the work he carried out on the exhaust system directly led to the deaths of Kelly Webster and Lauren Thornton.
This case should act as a warning about the terrible consequences of such a poor standard of work in the installation of appliances. Although Matthew Eteson did not intend to cause their deaths, the jury, who heard all the evidence, found that Kelly and Lauren lost their lives because of his gross negligence, and the obvious dangers that he created. They therefore found him criminally responsible for their deaths.
Our thoughts and sympathies are with Kelly and Lauren’s families and friends at this time, who have been left devastated by their deaths.”
A gas fitter has received a two year suspended sentence, for causing the deaths of his partner and her daughter on a boat on Windermere.Read the full story ›
A gas fitter has been found guilty of causing the deaths of his partner and her 10-year-old daughter on board a boat on Lake Windermere.
Kelly Webster, 36, and Lauren Thornton, 10, were overcome by carbon monoxide fumes after Kelly’s partner, Matthew Eteson fitted a dodgy generator on board his boat.
The boat, Arniston, was harboured on Lake Windermere at the time of the tragedy.
Prior to the tragedy on Easter Monday 2013, Eteson - a qualified Gas Safe engineer - had fitted a silencer to the generator, joining copper piping to steel using solder and jubilee clips.
He then brought the generator below deck to power a fan heater to warm the cabin where Kelly and Lauren slept.
On the afternoon of April 1, Eteson, of Appleton Road, Hale, woke feeling unwell as Kelly and Lauren napped blow deck.
He told police he thought he was having heart problems and made his way above deck to get some fresh air.
But minutes later he returned to find Kelly and Lauren, of Leyland, Lancs, had been overcome by fumes from the petrol powered generator.
Eteson, who throughout the trial sat outside the dock, supported by his father, denied criminal negligence manslaughter.
He did not give evidence as the court heard he is suffering from post traumatic stress disorder after discovering Kelly and Lauren’s bodies.
However the jury at Preston Crown Court unanimously found him guilty of their manslaughter as he ought to have known the modifications he made to the generator were not suitable and that it was unsafe to bring an outdoor generator indoors.
As the guilty verdicts were returned members of the Webster and Thornton families sobbed and comforted each other in the public gallery.
Eteson and his father looked down.
High court judge Mr Justice Turner adjourned the sentence hearing until November 13 to allow pre-sentence and psychiatric reports to be prepared.
In a prepared statement on behalf of both families, Lauren’s dad Neil Thornton said:
Throughout this trial it has become clear to the families of both Kelly and Lauren that the modifications carried out by Matthew Eteson directly contributed to their premature deaths.
His conscious decision to install an improvised exhaust system on a generator within a confined space was doomed to fail and ultimately led to Kelly and Lauren losing their lives.
This should serve as a warning to others of the dangers of do-it-yourself work and a failure to properly risk assess the work and to the potential consequences of death by carbon monoxide poisoning.
The families of both Kelly and Lauren would like to thank their family and friends for their love and support throughout this difficult time.
One of the earliest tourist attractions in the Lake District has been restored and re-opened to the public.
The "Claife Viewing Station" on the western shore of Windermere has been attracting people since as far back as the 1770s when it was recommended in a guidebook of the time.
It allowed those early tourists to get a good view of the lake and the mountains, at a time when just a glimpse of the landscape was considered thrilling!
Tim Backshall has been to look around it.
The moment a gas fitter found his partner and her daughter dead on their boat in the Lake District after succumbing to the effects of carbon monoxide, has been described in court.
Matthew Eteson, 42, is on trial after pleading not guilty to the manslaughter of Kelly Webster, 36, and her daughter Lauren Thornton, 10, by gross negligence.
Jurors were told that Eteson had fabricated an exhaust system for the petrol-driven portable generator used to power the mains appliances on the boat, moored on Lake Windermere, Cumbria.
The two were found in their bedrooms on the second-hand Bayliner 285 motor cruiser Arniston, after the outdoor generator was taken below deck despite carbon monoxide sensors being disabled.
Eteson, who had fallen asleep, said he woke feeling "something was not right" before stumbling down the stairs of boat.
In a statement read to Preston Crown Court he said:
I looked around and I could just see them both there"
Preston Crown Court heard that the family had been at a 50th birthday party in March 2013, before returning to their boat.
The following morning Eteson said he had felt sick and went to buy the family lunch from the chip shop before returning.
He said that Kelly had told him "I'm freezing" and the fan heater was put on at half power.
The court was told that Eteson, of Appleton Road, Hale, Cheshire, had fabricated the exhaust system with a silencer because it was "noisy" for fellow neighbours and had fitted it into the engine compartment.
Jurors were told that the generator was running as they ate their lunch before Eteson fell asleep at the table below deck.
Speaking about the generator during a police interview under caution he said:
It didn't sound like it was over-revving. I didn't know how long that was on for."
But jurors heard that when he awoke he "couldn't move" and initially believed he was having reoccurring problems with his heart.
He made his way onto the deck and said he proceeded to bang and shout for help but believed that Kelly and her daughter had gone shopping.
He said he could not remember if he turned the generator off then or later.
In the police statement he said:
I just knew there was something not right with me that's when I decided there was no-one about, I didn't know if they had gone shopping.
I couldn't properly move my fingers. I remember getting up there and thinking 'what's wrong with me'."
He said upon finding their bodies he tried looking for his phone before dialling 999. As the evidence was read a member of the public ran out of the courtroom sobbing.
Eteson too began to cry before being comforted by his father who has been allowed to sit beside him during proceedings.
The court was told that the carbon monoxide alarms on the boat had never been tested. During his voluntary interview in April 2013 he said he had been aware of the dangers of fumes.
He added that he had sought advice from mechanical friends and said the construction "wasn't something I took lightly".
The court was told that he had taken the generator off the boat to make moderations to it by fitting it with a silencer. He fitted the system the day before the deaths.
The case continues.
One of the earliest tourist attractions in the Lake District has been re-opened to the public.
From as far back as 1770 a "viewing station" above the lake at Windermere was considered a must-see.
People would take in the views and enjoy dances as well.
It has now been restored by the National Trust.
I think they would have been amazed at the view and the open space that they would have come to see.
It's still wild here isn't it? Still a beautiful place."
Hundreds of people turned up at Carlisle Airport on Saturday afternoon to say farewell to the Vulcan.
The former RAF bomber is doing a tour of the UK this weekend. It will be permanently grounded later this month.
It flew over Carlisle Airport before heading south over Windermere.
Among the crowds at Carlisle Airport was former Vulcan pilot Flight Lieutenant Frank Hilton:
Thousands of people are expected to watch the Vulcan on its farewell tour of Britain.
The former RAF bomber is expected to pass Carlisle Airport, Thirlmere and Windermere on Saturday afternoon.
You can follow the Vulcan's route here.