A neighbour of an elderly woman who's died following a house fire in Gretna has told how she tried to save her.
The woman died following the fire at a house in Union Road in Gretna.
Her friend and neighbour Denise Smith reported the fire.
She said: "It was my dog that first noticed the fire and started barking. I looked outside and couldn't believe the flames.
"I ran to neighbours houses trying to get help but I couldn't find anyone in. It seemed to take an eternity for the fire engines to arrive.
"I tried to get in and save her but I couldn't get past the heat. She was a lovely lady, we always had achat over the garden fence.
"She will be a terrible miss. I wish I could have saved her."
More top news
The family of a Cumbrian who suffered a botched blood transfusion are furious there was no reference to compensation in the Spending Review.
The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service is calling on householders across the south of Scotland to be aware of the danger of candle fires.
Do you know what's been happening in Cumbria and the south of Scotland over the past seven days? Test yourself in our weekly news quiz.