The fire Brigade say a family of three has a lucky escape after a fire in their home. They believe it was caused by a candle that was left burning.
Firefighters from Peebles in the Scottish Borders were called to a ground floor flat in Elcho Street in Peebles at 3.11am on Monday (22nd October).
On arrival, crews found the property well alight. The three occupants, a man aged 42, a woman aged 41 and a three-year-old girl managed to get out of the building before firefighters arrived and were all treated for smoke inhalation. They were taken to Border General Hospital.
A spokeswoman said:
“Early indications suggest the fire broke out as a result of a candle left burning in the property. This is something that we have seen before and we cannot stress enough if you use candles that you must make sure they are fully extinguished before going to bed.
“There was no smoke detection in the flat either and so it is fair to say the family had a very lucky escape.
"The family were alerted to emergency by the sounds of the fire crackling and banging. When fire breaks out, particularly in the early hours of the morning, it can be very disorientating and the risks of being overcome by smoke are significant.
“We believe every home should have a working smoke detector. It provides vital early warning if fire does break out, allowing you to escape from the fire safely and call us out.
“We are very relieved that the family in question managed to do this although they did suffer smoke inhalation. We wish them a speedy recovery and would take this opportunity to remind people of the need for vigilance when it comes to fire safety.
“Get into the habit of making checks in your home before you go to bed or leave your home for the day. In addition, make sure you have a working smoke alarm in your house. It really could save your life one day.”
The fire extensively damaged the flat and the smoke affected surrounding properties. Five residents from neighbouring properties had to be evacuated.
If you live in the Lothian and Borders area you arrange a free home safety visit and fitting of smoke detectors as required by calling 0800 169 0320.
More top news
Do you know what's been happening in Cumbria and the south of Scotland over the past seven days? Test yourself in our weekly news quiz.
The 14-year-old's body was found in a cemetery in Carlisle last June. George Thomson and Brahnn Finley have been found guilty of murder.
Cumbria Fire Service is reminding families of how easy pan fires can start and give their tips on how to handle one.