People living in nine homes evacuated last week following the collapse of a mineshaft in Egremont have been told they may not be back in their homes for Christmas.The residents have each been given 30 minutes this afternoon, November 21, to take valuables, documents, clothes and Christmas presents.
Last Wednesday a 25 metre hole opened up behind the properties on Howbank Road when contractors for Copeland Borough Council, who own the land, were attempting to pump concrete into the mineshaft in a bid to cap it. As the hole opened the drilling rig pouring in the concrete collapsed into it.
Subsidence had been reported to the council who had been monitoring the area for six months.The council are working with contractors to make the area safe and stabilise the properties, the work may not be completed before Christmas.
More top news
Kathleen Holme, 67, passed away after the blaze at her home on 26 March.
The head of an environmental think tank says Toshiba's financial troubles mean the nuclear development in Cumbria should be shelved.
Market traders are still unsure about what Brexit will mean... but many have already had to deal with rising costs.