Wasdale Mountain Rescue Team are advising walkers to take extra care when climbing in poor weather conditions, after a man fell to his death on Scafell mountain on Monday (December 10th).
They are advising walkers to:
- Select a route and objective suitable for even the weakest party members
- Get a weather forecast and consider its consequence on your plans
- Leave a route card with your personal details, the intended route, your equipment and estimated time of arrival at your destination with someone responsible
- Make sure you have warm windproof and waterproof clothing whatever the time of year, and wear good walking boots
- Carry basic survival equipment, food and spare clothes for the time of year
- Always carry a map, compass and torch and learn how to navigate before going onto the high fells
More top news
An earthquake measuring 1.7 on the Richter scale has been recorded in Cumbria.
A west Cumbrian man has been jailed for carrying out a knife attack.
Animal charity the Scottish SPCA is appealing for information after a dog suspected of being used for badger baiting was found abandoned.