Wasdale Mountain Rescue Team are advising walkers to take extra care when climbing in poor weather conditions, after a man fell to his death on Scafell mountain on Monday (December 10th).
They are advising walkers to:
- Select a route and objective suitable for even the weakest party members
- Get a weather forecast and consider its consequence on your plans
- Leave a route card with your personal details, the intended route, your equipment and estimated time of arrival at your destination with someone responsible
- Make sure you have warm windproof and waterproof clothing whatever the time of year, and wear good walking boots
- Carry basic survival equipment, food and spare clothes for the time of year
- Always carry a map, compass and torch and learn how to navigate before going onto the high fells
More top news
One of the oldest 'Lord and Lady' titles in England is up for sale, for the lordship of the Manor of Arthuret in Longtown.
Carlisle United goalkeeper, Mark Gillespie, has signed a two year contract with Walsall FC.
A man has been arrested and another is fighting for his life after an attempted murder involving an axe in south Cumbria.