Scotland's Transport Minister, Keith Brown, said that work on the road improvement projects should start in the spring and be completed by 2014.
Below is an outline of the proposed work:
A75 Dunragit Bypass
- The Dunragit Bypass will improve journey times, operational performance and level of service on the A75, which forms part of the Euro-route for between Europe, Scotland and UK via the ferry terminal Cairnryan.
- The safety needs of cyclist and pedestrians will be improved with a shared pedestrian/cycleway.
- HGV traffic will be removed from the village which has a 40mph speed limit.
- The A75 Hardgrove to Kinmount scheme will deliver a new 3.6km stretch providing overtaking facilities in both directions.
- Improving the performance and safety on the stretch of road, increase the number of overtaking opportunities and cater better for the needs of cyclists and pedestrians.
More top news
A diver has died after getting into difficulty at Wastwater in Wasdale.
Kerrie brings you Saturday nights forecast
Dry, warm and sunny with sea breezes. Isolated heavy showers by evening and overnight, although many areas will escape